랜덤 롤플레잉 Firefly: Du-Khang & Sturgis

Hades_Shadow posted on Sep 27, 2015 at 11:34PM
We all know about the war, The Alliance of the Inner Planets offered their science, knowledge, and medicine to the outer planets and moon in exchange that they became the government. These planets did not want to be bound by universal laws, and formed the Independants, or BrownCoats as they were called. This war waged on until the Alliance took over and forced their ideals on the known Verse. BrownCoats who desired their freedom found ways to create their own, getting a ship, starting a den of thieves, or becoming local government.

Du-Khang, a Sandfly model light Cargo ship owned by a previous captain of the war, is flying the Verse looking for a crew, jobs, payment. Think you can find a place amongst the rough crowds of the outer rim? Join this crew to see what is out there for you in the Black.

Sturgis is a Odyssey style Large Cargo ship, one of the only still in operation besides the Oddeasy. Big enough to carry even tanks or have illegal fighting rings inside. a big ship means big Pay-off Jobs, large amount of Renters, as well as big expenses.

If the Du-Khang & Sturgis gets enough crew I will add a new cruiser with more openings!

Keep Flying ...

-RULES-

1. No Godmodding, if you want someone to be hit by you, you gotta get hit sometimes
2. Romance is ok, just don't go too in depth on that, don't described sex scenes.
3. Be logical, you can't carry an entire arsenal of weapons with you and still run a marathon
4. Keep swearing to a minimum, or in a different language.
5. Have fun!

-Character Creation-

Name:
Ship Responsibility / Profession:
Appearance:
Apparel:
Personality:
Weapons:
Background:

-Du-Khang Crew-

Captain - Amanda [ Myhder ]
First Mate -
Pilot - Lass [ tytexas ]
Engineer - Lass [ tytexas ]
Body Guard - Zirena [ leggomyeggo ]
Medic - Mitchell [leggomyeggo ]
Pod Renter / Assassin - Mapache [ Hades_Shadow ]
Temp/Perm Resident -

-Sturgis Crew-
Captain - Rusty [ Hades_Shadow ]
First Mate -
First Pilot - Aud [ BanetteGhosneir ]
Second Pilot -
Third Pilot -
Engineers (up to 5):
First - Gear [ BanetteGhosneir ]
Second - Anna [ BanetteGhosneir ]
Third - Aud [ BanetteGhosneir ]
Fourth -
Fifth -
Body Guards (up to 4) -
Guards (up to 10) -
Medics (up to 5) -
Shuttle Renters (up to 16) -
Permanent Residents (up to 40) -

[ THE PICTURE IS A SANDFLY, THE TYPE OF SHIP THE DU-KHANG IS ]
 We all know about the war, The Alliance of the Inner Planets offered their science, knowledge, and me
last edited on Oct 24, 2015 at 05:16PM
save

랜덤 롤플레잉 107 replies

Click here to write a response...
Previous

Showing Replies 1-50 of 107

over a year ago Hades_Shadow said…
Name: Keeg "Mapache" Trigg
Ship Responsibility / Profession: Assassin / Bounty Hunter
Appearance: brownish Blonde hair, Blue eyes, about 5' 10", slightly tanned
Apparel: buckskin brown jacket with indepent patches and matching pants and vest, armor is light grey with a black visor, armor trim is blue at the top, and gradually fades through white, yellow, orange, and red at the bottom.
Personality: quiet, reclused, very peaceful if you are not in his crosshairs.
Weapons: has a arsenal of a sniper, pistol, tomahawk, and knife. When in buckskin he uses combustion Woodstock weapons, in armor they are laser metallic.
Background: raised by indiginous people, he has learned to enjoy solitude. His skills in hunting got him to later become a bounty hunter, he rents the shuttle of the Du-Khang to give them access to inner planets and keeps bounty hunters and alliance off their trail.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago leggomyeggo said…
Name: Zirena Fleggin
Ship Responsibility / Profession: Body guard/assassin/ soldier of the ship sworn to protect the captain and the crew at all costs
Appearance: pic
Apparel: heavy cargo pants and leather coat, or on her softer days cargo shorts and a plain shirt. She prefers heavier materials because they protect her body and easier to store her weapons and supplies
Personality: she's quiet. She has the ability to speak English, along with her planets native tongue, as well as many many other languages, but she chooses not to. She is distant from the crew for her safety and theirs and it isn't easy to get her to talk. She'll only speak to a select few of the crew, the ones who have been there he longest.
Weapons: you name it, she might have it. She carries two pistols in a holistic on her belt and a small knife in her boots and a stiletto in her hair as well. If she knows she is going on another planet or battle she loads up on weaponry on the ship and gets ready to defend
Background: to be announced, shit she won't even talk to me and I'm her creator!(aka suspense)
 Name: Zirena Fleggin Age: human years:26 Gender: female Ship Responsibility / Profession: Body gua
Name: Mitchell Gomez
Ship Responsibility / Profession: Medic
Appearance: extremely tall and thin, with light tanned skin, dark brown hair and deep brown eyes
Apparel: white dress shirt and black pants with heavy black boots and a dark brown leather jacket
Personality: On the kinder side, Mitchell is a very forgiving and caring man, letting his caring instincts aid in the recovery on those injured while on the ship
Weapons: just his brain
Background: Was raised by his mother to be a kind and forgiving person, he grew up fairly normally before the split and now only wishes to aid in restoring some kind of order
(Just an FYI, in the firefly universe aliens do not exist)

I start returning my Shuttle to Du-Khang, preparing for landing. I just finished filling out a bounty and received pay that could cover two months of rent, but being paid for the next 6 months I do not worry about that. I get ready to start the landing procedure.
(She probably has learned Chinese as her native tongue, then English)
((I was thinking Russian as her native tongue she just seems that way to me, heavier accent. I messaged you about the alien thing last night but it may not have sent my apologies .))

On the ship itself, Zirena sat alone with a blade in one hand, a sharpener in the other, working away sharpening her blade as she awaited orders from the captain. Her dark blue eyes were focused on her task, all her other senses sharp and ready in case any tried to sneak up on her or if something were to happen on another other part of the ship. Eyes focused like daggers she continued her task, eyeing the blade with adoration as she continued, almost cracking a smile, almost, at her favorite weapon. She wasn't a vicious killer, but this blade had saved many lives while taking many others and it would always be a preferred weapon of choice to her
((Russian is alright, Mapache will know Spanish))

the shuttle touches down on top of the Du-Khang, after reconnecting to the air supply I deactivate the Pods power, and head to the main decks, and see Zirena sharpening her weapons.
over a year ago OneHeavenlyKing said…
Name: Asher "AA" Ace
Ship Responsibility/ Occupation: Sniper
Appearance: Picture
Personality: He's very laid back and tends to be sarcastic as always.
Weapons: Dual Revolver Blasters
Background: Raised on Titus, Saturn's largest moon, he had a hard life. His father and his crew, Titus-2D, left to enter the Inner Planet to protest on the large amount of taxes and outrageous laws. The whereabouts of Titus-2D is unknown as no one seen them since they left. His mother is a caregiver, taking care of orphaned children who's parents died by law or went to protest. Like his father, Asher sees the amount Titus has struggled over the years, and he is in search of finding a crew to stop the Inter Planet Alliance.
(( if AA wants to join with the Du-Khang, he will need more skills than just a sniper, like first mate or pilot . Or we can add a new ship, which I prefer to do only when it's full.
over a year ago tytexas said…
Name: Lass
Ship Responsibility: Pilot/Engineer
Appearance: 6' 1", 130 pounds, pale with deep red hair.
Languages: English (Irish accent), minimal Chinese
Apparel: faded green flight suit, mechanics goggles, black converse all stars, and a way too big pair of mechanics overalls that I put on when I'm working on the ship.
Personality: takes life seriously, but never acts serious. Always joking and saying strange things. Very protective of the ship and treats the captain like a big sister.
Weapons: a set of large wrenches.
Background: orphaned at a young age, Lass got her name from the leader of a group of children that lived on the streets. This gang started getting rounded up and sold to all manner of people. Lass escaped and started the life of a stow away. From the age of 12 to 16, she had been on dozens of ships, and had learned about every inch of these ships, and learned much about ship maintenance from watching the different mechanics from the shadows. Then she got caught for the first time ever..... aboard the Du Khang. The captain took pity and started taking care of Lass. Lass instantly got attached and starting treating the captain like a big sister and dedicated herself to helping around and became the ship's mechanic. Then a couple months after being on the ship, she asked to try flying the ship and the captain agreed grudgingly. Surprisingly, Lass showed that she was a natural genius when it came to flying and also became the ship's pilot, when she's not fixing it at least.
I start walking to the cockpit and see Lass behind the wheel, "where's capt?" I say being notorious for saying two words, and not much else.
Lass: "Big Sis? I'm sure she's just taking a nap or eating a unicorn horn. I hear they're delicious! Now stay here and watch that we don't crash or something, and don't be a baby about it, I'll be right back." she walks in where Zirena and Mapache are with her usual, strange swagger, whistling a light hearted, off key tune. "Why welcome back 'my patch'. I couldn't be more giddy than a 'lil school lass that's home and catched a leprechaun. Have you brought me a sweet this time?" Turning to Zirena, "and why Zirena! I swore I saw you smile! I best go bake a cake to celebrate! We don't have any sugar or milk, but the oil I use on the ship is niiiiiice and sweet. I'll just use that as the milk and sugar"
over a year ago Myhder said…
Name: Amanda Telos
Ship Responsibility: Captain
Past profession: Companion
Appearance: tawny brown hair with brown eyes and freckly. She is tall and muscular.
Apparel: she has ribbons in her hair, the only sign of femininity. She wears a leather pilots jacket buttoned up. Boots and cargo pants.
Personality: articulate and elegant. Seems sweet and genuine, but when anyone is false or demeaning she loses respect immediately and will disregard or deal with them harshly. Her time as a companion made her very artistic and wise, but ever questioning the morals of men.
Weapons: Pistols, Stiletto knives, and insults.
Background: Daughter to a powerful alliance family, she became a companion at a relatively young age. It was according to family tradition and she became very sought after and prized, for both her attractive body and wit. When the war started she found herself in danger more and more often and had to take a side. In a desperate act of self preservation, she agreed to become companion to a rebel leader to get information. Mission after mission she did this for the Alliance and orchestrated other companions to do so. Naturally, after she was discovered, she was never trusted as a companion again either by the Alliance or Browncoats. So, she turned her attentions to actually becoming a war captain. She specialized in espionage and ending battles before they happened. When she was relieved of duty she was angry and felt abandoned by those she had fought so hard for. Now she fights for herself, and makes a point to inconvenience both parties.

She met Lass when she was a stowaway trying to fix her ship. After catching her at gunpoint she was impressed to find that she really did know her way around a starship. Eventually they let her try piloting the craft and found she had a natural talent.

Amanda has been the captain of the Du-Khang for almost 3 years.
I raise my eyebrows in a quizzical look, nothing unusual in normal interactions with Lass. She seemed to ... Hyper ...
Zirena paused in her sharpening to glance up at the young girl, one eyebrow cocked up in questioning at her antics. She was rather used to the girl now, being as hyper as she was, but still it served to irritate her as usual though she appreciated how cheery the one thing one given their situation. Finally the tiny Russian opened her mouth, one of the few rare times she spoke, "Perhaps yes I did the smile but it may be weeks before it happen again." She stated jokingly t the child, it was however laced with her thick accent and it sounded almost so monotone it would take a very clever person to notice the joke, "Take picture it will last."
Lass: "Ah no! I traded my camera for a four leaf clover. Oh well. 'Patchy' will have to take the photo. Devils! I left 'me patch' running the ship. I gotta get him out of my seat before he busts a dingaling!" I then take off back towards the cockpit.
I grab the wheel as Lass leaves, steering the ship. As well I push a button signaling the captains quarters.
Amanda opens the door to the cockpit seeing Lass just as she comes back. "Sit down, we have a meeting to start." Amanda is dressed in a very elegant celebration dress, which seems very out of place.

"Crew, you won't often see me dressed so nicely, but today is special. Today is the three year anniversary of the Du-Khang's operation out in the void. We've worked hard, and made sacrifices." She sat down at the pilots chair and looked solemnly at them.

"I intend for us to up our game this next year, make some real money. And to help us do that, I've hired a first mate - He's quite the professional. And, I've got us a contract. If we pull this off we won't have to work again for months." She says getting excited.

"First things first though. Keeg, how far are we from planet Melpinam?"
I give the captain a death glare, no one calls me by my first name. "Six Hours"
Lass: "Ah Patch. It takes six hours if you follow the normal, boring, things most every other ship does. But after I give this ship a bit of fairy dust I'll get her there in 5." I turn to Amanda, "Sis, I don't mean to be engine slime here, but where's this first mate of yours? And isn't Melpinam a rather dangerous place?" I pale even more, if that were possible, at the memory of some experiences there. "I mean, we most certainly are not going to carry rainbows and lollipops and trade them for sunshine and fairies there."
The Russian sat in silence, once again cocking an eyebrow at the captain in her formal clothes and nearly snarled when she heard the news of the new first mate. She had been aboard the ship for nearly the entirety of the three years and despised newcomers, with a rather strong passion. She did trust the captain, after all she did know a slight...disturbing fact about her and was sworn to secrecy. In return Zirena swore to protect her and the crew the best she could. "It matter not how dangerous it is," Zirena huffed, slipping her blade back into its sheath, "That is why I am here, I protect you."
"Protect" I chuckle at the word, but keep steering, keeping us on course for melpinam. "Capt. Might need extra hands for that" I say, knowing first that the captain likes full explanations and despises lies, forcing me to say more than two or three words sometimes
A low growl came from her throat, and Zirena sharpened her eyes to a nasty glare at Keeg, "Captain hired me to protect yes? And I have never failed so hold your tongue." She snapped, even giving that little snarl of hers before returning her eyes to the captain, "I am more than capable of protecting captain, I can keep you safe while...eh first mate boards yeah?"
(( Myhder is the designated Captain, just a FYI ))

"Capt. Has employed me before" I reply, "Besides, Melpinam isn't your normal Rim planet, it oozes with scum. If you only have one fighter it still won't be enough" I say more towards the Captain
leggomyeggo commented…
I know I'm not dumb Hades I can read over a year ago
Hades_Shadow commented…
I was making a statement that he is the person i reserved the spot for, it is no need for name calling 또는 screwdness over a year ago
Lass: "Ah now quit your blabbin about who's doing what now. You two are reminding me of a couple of lasses cryin over who gets to ride the unicorn. Besides, doesn't having more people me we can do more at once? After all, the more spoons you have, the faster the soup is ate!" I'm still paler than usual, but I trot off in my usual style and speaking over my shoulder, "Sis, I'm gonna make sure the ship is readier than a puffer fish about to eat salad!"
"Puffer fish...? Yes, do that. I worry for that child." She said. Darkening she looks to Mapache and Zirena. "I don't tolerate arguing bitties on my ship. You are both important members of this crew." She snapped. "I decided we need some brains on this ship, this new first mate is as bright as they come and sounds just as delicate. Probably just joining in to get off Melpinam." Looking to Zirena, "You'll always be my most trusted friend. Let's just say First Mate is an honorary title, and in no way garauntees higher pay." She put on a knowing grin. "I sent him the Du' Khang's full set of manuals too."

"I'll be trusting all of you to protect us on this speck of an outer moon, but if fighting can be avoided, steer clear- attack on my signal and my signal only."
Zirena nodded in response, "Yes captain." She would remain loyal and take the command. No more arguing with Patch, and she would not attack anyone unless given the order to. "What is first mates name?" She inquired, leaning back in her seat causing the chair to creak. "As long as he knows boundary with crew I will not mess with first mate." She promised, and her captain knew that her promises were always to be kept, she owed the captain too much to betray her.
"Battle armor?" I ask the captain, knowing it would scare off weaker threats, but even though that she despises my Independants jacket, it may earn us respect out there.
((She's still creating the character for the first mate))

"As the ancient saying goes, 'Walk softly and carry a big stick'. That means the big stuff Mapache and at least a knife Mitchell. Softie."
[[ Just added the Sturgis for those who want to be on a bigger ship ]]
 [[ Just added the Sturgis for those who want to be on a bigger ship ]]
Myhder commented…
(Mapache, didn't realize aa was a separate ship.) over a year ago
I nod my head, staring to get ready my armor and laser gear for the task ahead. I put on eyeblack around the entire eye sockets and Indian warpaint to make it look like a Racoon. I then put my helmet over it. With armor on I put on my weapons. I set my shuttle in standby, in case we need heavy firepower. I take off the sniper scope for more rapid fire action.
"I'll leave introductions for our new friend. He said he wanted to remain anonymous for now, but with the size of his initial contribution to the crew, I was willing to allow it." She said.
"I won't lie to you, this expedition is a risk. We don't know much going in, but if we're wise and move fast - We leave this with a new team member and enough credits for fuel to the inner orbits and back, sightseeing the whole way." She punched her hand down on the table.
"We do this like clockwork. Meet up with the new first mate, meet up with our contract and fill it out, then we get out of dodge and fulfill said contract. Profit. Then we take some time for ourselves." She smiled wide.
"Now what's your mood." She said, hands on the table and leaning over at them.
I cock my rifle, "let's start"
 I cock my rifle, "let's start"
Lass: Alone in the engine room I absent mindedly checked everything.... Not that it needed it. I've fine tuned everything a billion times, in just the last month it seemed. My mind just couldn't focus now, though. Melpanim... Why were we going there? Why? I hadn't told anyone before, but... That's where I had lived as an orphan all those years ago... My mind's eye played again and again the images so perfectly etched into my memory. Missy, Lil' Sir, Captain...... Why? Why? WHY? Life had been always hard, but at least I had a family. Those other orphans had been my family. But now... where they even alive? I choke up at asking myself that question.... Captain... Why? Those men had taken us by surprise. Tackling and tying us up... beating us into submission. Captain was the only one that had fought back. stabbing one man in the stomach. Another man though, he took out a machete and.... and... Oh Captain! I was the only one I knew of that had escaped. I had been beaten savagely until I was unconscious, but it seems they had assumed I had died. I don't blame them. When I woke up my whole head felt like it was on fire and blood covered my body. I don't know how I could have survived. When I had gained enough of my senses I realized that they had tossed me amongst the garbage in the nearby alley. I staggered back into our hideout, praying that maybe someone else had escaped those men, but.... Only Captain's remains were in there.... Captain!!!!!

by this time, I had unconsciously went into my old stow away hideout and huddled myself up, quietly sobbing.
Myhder commented…
Captain was the name of a fellow orphan correct? Just for clarification. over a year ago
Name: Rusty Carter
Ship Responsibility: Captain of Sturgis
Appearance: long scraggly red hair, pale skin, light freckles, about 6' 2 1/2", a lean muscular, has a robotic left arm.
Apparel: large black leather duster, and matching full brim hat. Grey pinstripe suit pants and vest, White shirt with a red bow tie, black & white cowboy boots.
Personality: very charismatic, personable, a tiny bit sleazy and cruel if you are not keeping payments up.
Weapons: cane sword, a 18 round revolver, carving knife.
Background: born on the outer rim to an alliance supporting family, he was raised and trained to be a lawyer. Slightly unliked for his profession and allegiance. When the war started his house was attacked by a mob and a radical faction of Independents cut his arm of with a hand saw. He grew a hatred for this rebellion and bought a heavy cargo ship to do undercover supply runs for the alliance. For loyal service they provided him with his robotic arm. Now that the war has ended he uses the ship to carry extreme cargo, or to have legal and illegal fighting rings (being a lawyer he knows how to find loopholes) he treats his crew well, but a crew to him is just a crew, and passengers are just pockets of gold.
Rusty: I put on a brand new pair of white leather gloves I just received, a little tight, but they would soon loosen up with use. Finally fully concealing my robotics, people might see me again as a normal man. The sad realization was I never would be normal again, and more saddening, I liked it that way. I head to the bridge of the ship to relay our next location. We had just barely touched down on Melpinam, we wIt to replace passengers and crew, our next bout would have the fighters. And would provide a lot of opportunities for the house to win betting money. I laugh at the notion of how many people will gamble all their savings to provide my ship with fuel.
"Good." She said. "We land in 5 hours, and I don't want a second wasted. Everyone be ready. Mitchell, after the first mate is picked up I want you and him securing the ship while we secure the contract." She looked down at her dress. "Time to get out of this silly thing."

link
over a year ago ToyBonnie said…
Name: Hyrold
Ship Responsibility / Profession: First Mate
Appearance: Messy brown hair, one green eye, one blue eye, short, slightly chubby
Apparel: Grey shirt and jeans, black high-tops
Personality: OCD, a clean freak, has a stutter, not very social but very smart, hard worker
Weapons: A small hand gun, intuition, pepper spray, a small bottle of chloroform
Background: Always a little secluded but excelled in school. Worked his butt off and was very excited to get this position. His father was abusive until he died of alcohol poisoning when Hyrold was eight. His mother raised him herself after that. This position is his ticket out of this crummy place. His literal escape.
(( Your Picture did not show up ))

Mapache: I nod my head and get ready for whatever will come when we touch down

Rusty: I see a young man walking by and I lean on my cane as he passes, "Young man, you looking for a ride? we will be going to Whitefall from here, week travel with entertainment" I say promoting the ship, "Sturgis is one of the best Luxury experiences you'll get!"
Mapache: I pull up my touch screen, and look at the Bounty board to see if any big paying assassinations or bounties are to be contracted here. I see one that intrigues me, a young girl that has a pretty big Bounty on her, I accept it and mentally prepare for the whole fiasco
Mitchell had only just walked in when the captain called him a softie. He merely just rolled his eyes at her, knowing full and well that he'd had to have a weapon to defend himself at least but he just wasn't about that. When she issued her next order he nodded, "Aye captain, I'll get him set up and straight." He replied and left to go find a weapon and ready his area for their upcoming guest.

Zirena nodded sharply and stood, metal clanging against metal as she moved, her weapons dangling freely for the moment being before she began securing them. "Captain," she questioned, waiting until they were plenty alone before speaking again, "How did you come across first mate?" She asked, curious of the new...crew member she guessed. "We were good without, why sudden desire for new addition?"
Hyrold was already nearing a panic attack from excitement at his new position and ticket out of Melpinam when he realised the man with the cane had been talking to him. His eyes widened and it took him a full 3 seconds to formulate a response. "Ummm, I, uh, n-no thanks. Uh, sir. No th-thank you," He said, trying to smile, or at least look like he wasn't having a heart attack.
"We needed him for the next big contract. It was just plain luck that he was on Melpinam at the time. His skills are crucial for us getting paid and getting out alive." Amanda said. "That, and I hate having empty space on the ship without getting rent for it."

Closing the cockpit doors, Amanda responded. "We need a technician. Lass is great with the ship, and would probably run it to the day she died if I let her. But in terms of upgrades or making real changes in these skies she's got years before she can handle that. I've had enough of playing the little league for thin margins and no influence."

She released the tension in her hands and continued. "I'm not saying we've been working in vain, but we can do more- we deserve more. I can handle the politics, what we need is someone to make the big guns. I'll need you to fire them."
Rusty - "be careful there boy don't hurt yourself" I say with a chuckle. "Now what's got your bolts so tight?"

Mapache - As we touch down on melpinam I open the bay door, making sure my rifle is in full view, I then wait for the captain as I stand guard.
"But captain...I..." Her lips pressed tightly together and she looked down, hiding her face in pure shame. The war paint of her face his some of the scars from her past and the knife marks all over her body were still hidden, but they were still grim reminders of what she used to be and what she was afraid to become again. "It's taken me this long to control myself here now with crew." She explained, "I don't know how first mate will be with around me Amanda." She stated and raised her eyes back to hers, sorrow in their depths, "I would give life for you, you helped save me from what I became, and I will do whatever you need me to, but first mate has to be careful around me. Just until I am able to handle more crowd."
Mapache - "Waiting Capt. I say as we start getting ready to unloaded.

Rusty - "well at least come in for a drink or a fight, it will give you something to relax." I say putting my arm around Hyrold, "C'mon, unwind"
"aaaaAAAAAHH, uh, uh, n-no thank you, I have an imp-p-portant appointment, I d-don't have time to-to-to...." Harold said, his heart racing, on the brink of tears. "And yeah, I m-may have some anxi-iety problems, they're m-more c-common than you th-think pleasestoptouchingmepleasestop"
Rusty - "c'mon don't be shy, what will one drink do?" I say while bringing him in, the boss is on a role
Hyrold realised what was happening and panicked. He fumbled for his pepper spray, aimed it at Rusty's face. Hands shaking, he pressed the top down, hard. He immediately collapsed, surprise and then agony on his face. He went into the fetal position, hyperventilating. In his panic, he had failed to realise that he was holding the bottle backwards, and now had pepper spray all over his hand and his own face.
After the rest of the crew leaves the ship, I lock up the ship nice and tight and wait anxiously for them to return.