팬팝 Etiquette Joining, Deleting And Contributing To Spots

vider69 posted on Jul 27, 2008 at 06:42AM
Do I have to contribute to every spot I join and what if I don't want to be a fan of a spot I've joined? I know I can delete it but there's no 'good' way to do that, do people get offended if I delete a spot I've joined?

팬팝 Etiquette 18 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago Snerkie said…
- No you don't have to contribute to every spot you join, you can just enjoy other peoples contributions :)

- If you no longer want to be a fan of that spot go to your profile, click "spots" and underneath the spot you no longer want to be apart of just click "unsubscribe" and you'll no longer get updates from that spot

- No one will get offended if you leave a spot, it has nothing to do with them really

Hope that helped :)
over a year ago vider69 said…
It did thanks, so here's another question: What's the best way to get fans to join a spot I've created, does it take a long time to attract fans? I've already added heaps of content and made it as interesting as possible, no fans 'yet'.
over a year ago Snerkie said…
Well it just depends on what it is, it might not be something known to many so there could be fans but not so many. There is a soapbox on this...link is a great article written by amazondebs on how to advertise your spot the right and wrong ways :)
over a year ago germany123 said…
you created this spot right?
link

we already have the random spot, the various spot,the other spot..and lots of spots for icons etc

why dont you try to add your content to the existing spots and revive one of those rather than creating a new one!?
Well I created that spot because it was something I could ad a lot of content to, I wouldn't like to take it down or just leave it there and I have contributed to other spots but I haven't mastered the art of adding videos yet.and the spot I created isn't just for icons or wallpapers it's a bit of everything, hence the name.
yes i know but for bits of everything we have
link
link
link
link
link

seriously do we need the bits and pieces spot?

as for adding vids..how can i help?
Well like I said I really don't want to drop the spot as I've really worked hard on it but if you've got some videos that you think may go with it that would be great if you could ad them on I'd appreciate it very much.
you said:I haven't mastered the art of adding videos yet...thats what i meant.

sorry, but there is no way i would contribute to another one of those spots.

link
Well I contribute to as many spots as I can but I'm not deserting a spot that I've spent so much time on, if someone wants me to take it down I'm sure I'll be informed and I'm not being rude but even though it may not mean that much to you, I'm very proud of that spot because I've never done anything like this before. Cheers.
over a year ago aholic said…
Wow... that many spots for the same thing. I know that I made the various spot because it was for freaky stuff and not random stuff, but I think it will be better to just ask the fanpop four to remove some of the content from your new spot and add it to one of the others.
Well I've contributed as much as I can to other spots so I'd prefer it if the content in my spot stayed intact, there are half a dozen or more related spots, eg: buffy, spuffy, etc. I just join them all if I like them.
over a year ago harold said…
I suspect that the difficulty that some users have with duplicate spots is that it makes it hard for an user to find particular content. The central idea of Fanpop is, after all, to catalog the worthwhile content on the web. But it may be confusing to people trying to use a catalog if there are multiple entries for the same category of material and no way to know which entry has the specific thing you want to find. With enough duplicate spots, finding content on Fanpop becomes little better than doing a Google search, and that's pathetic.

My encouragement for the future, then, is to do a thorough search for spots where content you want to add might fit before creating a new spot (this is discussed in greater detail in the link). That way - avoiding duplication - you'll likely not get this type of backlash and will be more likely to get fans to join your spots. Just a suggestion!
Well I didn't know that before I started the spot and the reason I created it as such was because it made it easier for me to ad different content, mine is not the only 'duplicate spot' and I've had help with creating a link for it so everyone's been quiet supportive. Thanks.
over a year ago Cammie said…
vider, I totally understand what you're saying and I sympathise. When you've dedicated so much time and effort to a spot you've created it is hard to be told you should have the spot removed. NO, I don't think the spot should be removed. Why? Because there are a hell of a lot of duplicate spots of Fanpop and they remain. Just one example of this is three spots dedicating to prevention of animal cruelty and abuse. Three different users created 3 different spots about the same topic but the sad nd pathetic thing is there is almost no content in any of them. Yet, all three spots remain on the site.
The other thing: are you still needing help with videos upload? If so, please email me. I had the same problem when I joined the site - I just didn't know what to do but I user helped me out and I went nuts for a while uploading videos, lol.
whoa whoa no one said it should be removed...or did they??

over a year ago Cammie said…
hey gemmy! How you going girl?
I don't think anyone actually said it should be renoved but I think it's been somewhat suggested s a good idea. That's just how I've read the comments - I could be wrong though.
no no- i just said that to try and explain why maybe not a lot of people were joining the spot and adding a lot of content because people dont get what they could add since its not
a) very specific
b) a spot that we already have a lot of times on fanpop
(in reference to this: What's the best way to get fans to join a spot I've created, does it take a long time to attract fans? I've already added heaps of content and made it as interesting as possible, no fans 'yet'.
Thanks cammie, thanks so much for your support and yeah there was a bit of flack over that spot but it's over now and I've created three other spots since and the bits and pieces spot has a lot of fans now, including you, lol, yeah I'm still having problems embedding videos any help would be appreciated, thanks again.