True Writers Story Starters 글쓰기 Contest Round 1

dragonsmemory posted on Jul 10, 2012 at 05:23PM
Welcome to the Story Starters Writing Contest! The rules are pretty simple. You must write a short story based on the prompt. You can only submit one entry per post, but you can enter as many times as you like. Te voting will take place in the polls, which will open one week from today, when the forum closes. You will have one week to vote. Good luck!

What if there was a message on your answering machine? The message is this:
"Some maniac at the Lincoln Elementary School Cafeteria laced the tomato soup with poison this morning."

Remember, one entry per post and all entries must have a title. This forum will close July 17, 2012. The polls will open the same day.

True Writers 36 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago alicia386 said…
Lunch Lady Crime Fighter

When I, Lunch Lady Jones, heard of the criss happening with our tomato soup, I jumped right on this mission. Of course, poison in tomato soup was not as important as when the time Principal Clearwater's mole fell into our baked beans, I still wanted to save the children of Lincoln Elementary School. Even thought all of the other lunch ladies said let the janitor fix it I still wanted to complete this mission. I, Lunch Lady Jones, dumped all of the tomato soup into the nearby oceans, probably killing tons of sea creatures, and then I bought all new tomato soup. I was a hero that day and don't you forget it. Even though i had gotten fired, then arrested, and finally sent to jail for criminal actions I still felt like a hero. But I am living in the past. That was about 20 years ago.

This has been an adventure of Lunch Lady Jones Tales.
over a year ago dragonsmemory said…
Curious…It'll be interesting to see how you stand in the voting next week.
over a year ago SweetHoneyBunny said…

(Sounds like fun, here's mine)

Believe It, It Could Be True

After listening to the ridiculous message I left for school. It was as boring as usual. History, English, Science and Math. The same old classes at the same old school of Lincoln Elementary. I met up with some of my friends during our lunch break. "So, what's the special today?"
"Tomato soup. I think?" Randy answered.
"Tomato soup. Sounds good." The twins, Fiona and Tiffany said together. We got in line and waited. We all got the soup and headed to our usual table in the back corner. "Anyone else get a weird message this morning?" I asked, sipping the soup that tasted better then normal.
"Ya, we were getting dressed when we got it. We didn't believe a word. Here, nothing exciting ever happens." The twins were half done their bowls. "It seemed really strange." Randy said. We all laughed and finished our soup. The bell rang, so we all headed to our afternoon classes. The rest of the day passed rather quickly. I wasn't feeling the best, but I brushed it off as nerves, I had a huge presentation later. By the time I got home, my stomach felt like it was on fire! I sat on the couch and waited for the feeling to pass, it didn't. I moaned and called for mom. She came in and checked my temperature. "It's a little high. How about you lie down and rest." I did as I was told. I texted my friends to ask if they were feeling as bad as I was. No one answered. My head started pounding and my stomach was killing me. I fell asleep in terrible pain.

*In the newspaper the next day.*
"Local kids died from poisoned soup at Lincoln Elementary School. Bodies were found at their homes. Parents say their children came home with a high temperature and a bad stomach ache. More on page 3."
Wow. Wasn't expecting that angle.
over a year ago SweetHoneyBunny said…
Sorry, that's just my style.
No, that's a good thing.
over a year ago alicia386 said…
smile
So far only two stories! We need more stories. Come on (if you want to) and post your story.
over a year ago NormalcyIsDead said…
Blind Faith

"Hey, I heard that some freaky-deaky dude dumped poison into the tomato soup," Jason bragged to the younger kids on the playground, where they waited to be called inside for school. He was in fifth grade, therefore, followed and adored by the younger kids who looked up to him, both metaphorically and literally. "Bet'cha a quarter you guys can't eat it!"
The boys - and some girls - started yelling protests: "Ewww, that's sooooo gross!"; "Two quarters and it's a deal."; "We should call the police!"; "Where's Mrs. Ambers?"; "Knew the lunch lady was up to no good!"
They started talking to each other, overreacting like third graders always do when faced with drama. He backed away, smirking at their fright and glee, already awaiting the third bell that would announce Elementary lunch.
Don't worry, the soup wasn't really laced with poison. Sure tasted like it, though. But Jason had one very valid, hilarious reason for telling them this juicy lie; To watch their faces as they gulped down the large bowls of goopy, lumpy-with-something-other-than-tomato sludge that passed as tomato soup at Lincoln Elementary School.
last edited over a year ago
That's pretty funny
over a year ago sadiebugz00 said…
tongue
The Mysterious Message

*at young Melody's house*
She wrinkles her eyebrows as she listens to the message on the answering machine. Surely, she thought, Someone was just playing a cruel prank on her. I am THE weirdest kid in my class..... There's no way someone had ACTUALLY put posion in her beloved tomato soup!! She sighed. As she finished eating her toast, she headed out the door and into the rain. These are the days, she muttered, that I HATE having to walk to school. She ran back inside to get her turquiose polka-dotted umbrella and stumbled into the rain. After about 5 minutes of trudging through all the mud and rain, she was finally at school. She was walking towards homeroom when her best bud, Melanie, came up to her. "Did you get that weird message about the tomato soup this morning?"
Melody's eyes widened, "Yea. I did. i just thought that someone was playing a prank on me, but... but... but... Oh, crap. I don't feel too good."
"It's FINE," Melanie insisted.
"Better be," Meoldy said with a cold voice. Right when they walked into homeroom, the bell rang. The day went on, normal as ever. Homeroom, English, Math, Geography, then Lunch. Melanie quite literally had to drag Melody towards the lunchroom. When the got into the lunch line, tomato soup wasn't on the menu. Well, that's strange, Melody thought. Maybe it was a pranker, possibly even the wrong message for the wrong school. If it wasn't meant for THIS Lincoln Elementary, Melody thought, then which one?

*next day on the news*

"Barbara Weathers, here, with breaking news. Poisoinious tomato soup at Lincoln Elementary in Ohio! More at 4."

Hm, Melody thought. Good thing I live in Colorado!

^^ DEFINITELY not my best story..... But oh well!
That was actually pretty good. Can't wait to see how you all do with other prompts
over a year ago Herro_There said…
monkey
**CONTAINS CURSE WORDS***
* So, its true? * ( NOTE: Its 12 am, so this is REALLY BAD! I just got bored and thought this up. I'm a better writer, I'm just really tired. So, NO JUDGEMENT! )

Pfft. What a crock! I thought, grabbing my backpack and heading off to school. The kid was a weirdo, anyways. I feel sorry for him, being teased and all. But, poison in Tomato Soup? Too far-fetched for me.

Fifteen minutes later, I arrived. I sat down on a silver bench, waiting for the bell to ring.
" F**king weirdo!" A tall, pale girl spat, grabbing a boy by the collar and dragging him out out of a crowd of douchey looking teenagers. " Poison? Really? How f***ked up are you? Attention whore! "

" I'm not lying! I overheard this guy say it! H-h-he said he was trying to get rid of Steven..." He stuttered.

" There are like a billion Stevens here. Which one, Detective? " A stuck-up guy smirked.

" I do-do-don't know." He replied. " He said he owed him money. A lot of money."

The girl was suddenly intrigued. " How much money?" She asked, in a more serious tone.

" F-Five thousand dollars."

She raised an eyebrow. " Come on, guys. Class is about to start." The group turned away and followed her every move like a couple of confused dogs.

I strolled over to the boy, getting up off the ground.

" You alright? " I asked.

" Yeah. I'm fine.." He muttered, staring at brown-haired dude sitting with the pale girl. He had a scare over his left cheek and an expressionless face, as if to say " Why should I Care? "

It depressed me, but I somehow also relate to it a lot.

I jolted.

" AHHHH! " A lunch lady screamed, running out of the cafeteria.

" It Maria! She collapsed! " She shrieked. I ran to the lunch room to see a pale, old women lying on the ground. She held a spoon in her hand, covered in Tomato Soup.

" She just tasted some and then she just fell!" The worried lunch lady cried.

A man felt her pulse and shook his head.

Its...true...

over a year ago Herro_There said…
WHOA THATS LONG O-O ^
Length won't matter in the voting. As long as the readers like it, you'll be fine.
over a year ago inseyaali said…
I was the shy girl, the one who didn't matter in the circle of school life. Well, until I got that call.
It was a normal day for me, Debby, as I got dressed for school. I hadn't transformed the uniform into my own personal nightclub costume, but that was something I was happy with.
As I was going downstairs, I checked the messages on the landline.
"I'll be late today dear, don't stay up. Mom." .....and etc, until I found this one:
"Some maniac laced the the tomato soup with poison at the elementary school. You are the only one that knows. Help them"
I was gob smacked. I picked up my satchel and raced to school. The first thing I did was go to the cafeteria, and found the dirty pot in which our lunch was cooking. It looked normal, and didn't have a funny smell to it either. My common sense was saying that this was a joke, but I had a strange feeling that's should check. I was crazy anyways.
Rrrrrriiing! The shrill bell rung through the school. I pushed the guilty feeling of skipping the first two periods, and concentrated on getting this soup out of here. I tried to lift the pan, but it was much to heavy. Suddenly the fat lunch lady came in, and I ducked behind the counter (that lady could have swatted me 30ft away and not even have realised it). She took the pot outside, ready to ladle it out to hungry mouths.
I ran, and crashed into the lady, knocking the entire pot of soup on myself. I felt a burning sensation on my tounge, and knew I had swallowed the poison. And I collapsed.
I woke up in a white bed, feeling like I has swallowed salt water. The news was on, and I was being described as a hero.
Hum. I guess it's good to be crazy sometimes!
Good story, but wshat's the title?
over a year ago inseyaali said…
big smile
Sorry, here : Red as Tomatina
Neat title.
over a year ago hgfan5602 said…
The Unknown Tragedy

Byron walked over to the telephone to see who called him. It said, "Some maniac at the Lincoln Elementary School Cafeteria laced the tomato soup with poison this morning." Byron thought, "Strange. Who would do that? Probably Smith Jones, the school bully..But anyone could be the culprit." Byron walked to the Lincoln Elementary School and analyzed the fingerprints on the cafeteria table. It WAS Smith!!! Good thing he had a super-awesome-fingerprint-analyzer that could analyze fingerprints in a second!!! Smith Jones was caught, and expelled from Lincoln Elementary.
Interesting, but where's the title?
over a year ago hgfan5602 said…
here ^^

Thank you.

VOTING WILL COMMENCE THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW. LAST MINUTE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL 11O'CLOCK P.M. EASTERN STANDARD TIME.
over a year ago 3rdCj2ndCJR said…
Hi. I'm Sara. I'm five years old and it's the first day of school. Someone told me, "Some maniac at the Lincoln Elementary School Cafeteria laced the tomato soup with poison this morning." I took it seriously. "Do the lunch ladies know?' I asks. He shook his head. I frowned. Everyone on the bus laughed at me.
"You're so gullible." one choked. I tilted my head in confusion. "What does gullible mean?" Everyone laughed hardest. I cried.
The bus driver pulled over the car and called me up front. She asked me what's wrong. "They are laughing at me!" She frowns. "I'll talk to them." she said. I made her promise.
She came back a few minutes later. "No one poisoned the tomato soup." she said softly. I get an attitude, as mommy calls it, when some one tells me something in I-know-all tone, again; as mommy calls it.
"How do you know?" I say. "Did you taste it?" She nodded. "I don't believe you. You haven't been to the school yet and it ain't lunchtime. That's how it goes! Mommy told me!"
The whole bus complained about "What was taking so long." Ms. Williams told me to sit down so she could show me something when we get to school. A third grader told me, "We're almost there." We was. I think. A brick building came into view. I thought it looked like a fortress.
The bus driver took me to the lunch ladies and told them my something or other. She said a few things and a couple of sparkly words that I didn't know the meaning to. One took me by my hand and to the tomato soup. I saw the giantest pot EVER. It was dirty though. I don't get it.
She took out a metal spoon with plastic at the end. "Why plastic?" She gave me an answer, and I don't get half the things she said. "Taste it." she said. I shake my head. "No." she looked shocked. "Poison." I said. It was my reason.
She tasted it first. She offered me a second chance. Chances are none. Nope. She took a second bite. She fell over in pain. "See." I say. "Call an ambulance! She barely has a pulse!" I look at the person screaming. The person behind him tried to sneak out the door.
"Sir! Sir!" I call. I runned after him. Everyone looked at me crazy. He stopped at the stairs. I catch up and he kneels by me. "Yes." he replied after I tugged on his pocket.
Something fell to the floor with a cling. I retrieved it before he even knew it fell. It was a bottle. It had a skull in it. My brother showed me one before. "P-oy-sun." I sounded out. "POISON!" I kicked him on his chin and stomach. He stilll standed up. I did my last resort. I kicked between his legs and then his jaw when he seemed top heavy(mommy taught me the word.).
He crumpled. Two ambulances were called and the police asked why I did what I did. I handed them the bottle. Nothing hit the news. I am happy.
Never knew a five-year-old could do that. Then again, a one-year-old beat the most evil wizard of all time. So, what's the title?
laugh
^^ xD
Title?
big smile
Not my story (I'm sure you knew that, just making it clear) I just thought your post was funny.
Any Potterhead would. So, what's the title of your entry? There's only a few hours left. If you don't have a title, I'm afraid you can't enter except as a write in.
I know you were talking to 3rdCj2ndCJR, but mine is The Mysterious Message.
worried
Whoops, too late for her, sadly. I really liked that story................ :( Too bad it's 11:06.
Oh, well. Voting starts tomorrow, and so does the next round
smile
Okay! I'll make sure to vote.
NO MORE ENTRIES! VOTING WILL OFICIALY BEGIN IN A FEW MOMENTS.
big smile
I'm off to the polls to vote!
Thank you to all eight writers who have entered the contest! Good luck in the vokting!