The Incredibles Goofs, Mysteries, and Emersons

oldgringo2001 posted on Mar 16, 2011 at 04:34PM
Inspired by the IMDB list, I'm starting this topic for rants about the little and not so little things in the movie about the movie that bug at least some people. I would like posters to opine which of the three categories they think would fit best.

GOOFS

Just that: Something that's a definite blunder with no justification beyond either "We missed it" or "We didn't have time to fix it."

MYSTERIES

These are things that happen which could make sense, but aren't explained in the movie. For instance, where the heck did Violet get that hairband on the island? And why does it turn invisible when her ordinary clothes don't.

EMERSONS

I haven't read a lot of Ralph Waldo Emerson, but the late and very great Isaac Asimov did, and he used to reply "Emerson!" to fans of his stories who caught various mismatches. It's based on a quote by Emerson: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

My standard for an Emerson in a story is something that may be taken as either a goof or a mystery but makes for a better story. For instance, Bob drives his sports car to the airport for his second visit to the island, but it's there for him to throw at Syndrome when he returns home. Would explaining that someone else brought the car back be worth animating? The important thing is that Bob doesn't hesitate to throw away the wonderful toy he bought for himself to protect his family. And this could provide a hook for part of a sequel, as I suggested in my "Future Episodes" topic. In case you missed that one, the car Bob threw actually belonged to his neighbor, a nerdy absent-minded nuclear physis

The Incredibles 3 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago oldgringo2001 said…
As I was saying, mild-mannered nuclear physicist Dr. Bruce Banner (The Incredible Hulk, in case you don't know.)

Anyway, on to:

MIRAGE: YOUR FAMILY SURVIVED THE CRASH. THEY'RE ON THE ISLAND.

Exactly how does Mirage know that? She says a little later that the kids may have triggered the alert, so she didn't see the video feed from the sentry parrot that all those guards did.

Of course, Mirage may have lied to Bob. Since she was about one second from a broken neck, she had plenty of incentive.

On the other hand, maybe she caught some video no one else did, say of Helen and the kids crawling up on that beach, maybe the only beach on the island. Since she's obviously the Sysop, she could suppress the video from everyone but Syndrome, and up until the point Mirage pushes him away, he's way too cocksure to think of minor details.

Rating: EMERSON, but barely. Mirage seems both too intelligent and feeling too compassionate towards Bob not to tell him his family survived the very first thing. It was done this way to show how angry Bob has gotten, and how quick he is to forgive. It's almost a fail because we already saw Bob threaten Mirage before. It might have been better if she told Bob his family was still alive but he assumed it was a lie until she convinced him it wasn't.
last edited over a year ago
WHY THE CHAINSAW?

This is a spoiler for Jack-Jack Attack, so if you want to see it in a virgin state, stop reading here.

Well, you're still reading, so here it is: As the scene changes to the next day Kari is trying desperately to stay awake, sitting in perhaps the only intact chair in the house, holding a fire extinguisher. Beside her chair there are some items in easy reach. At this point we can understand why she could use the butterfly net, the fireplace tongs, the oven mitts, the hose run from the back yard, and maybe even the grappling hook, and we'll know why she needs the hand mirror in a few moments, but why the chainsaw? I don't really expect any RIGHT answer, but if you have a plausible or a funny idea (preferably both) please share it.
last edited over a year ago
VCRS AND COMPACT DISKS

The home video cassette recorder didn't appear until the 1970s, and the first ones cost thousands of dollars. Video cameras wouldn't become really affordable until the 1990s, at least. I knew a pretty successful computer guy in the early 1990s who used a hidden camera to catch a guy who was breaking into his garage, but it was a still camera. Even though he could afford a house in a gated community, a video camera was a budget breaker for him.

CDs didn't really show up until the 1980s, and the "Mozart makes your kid smart" fad was a 1990s thing (I bought a disk at a clearance sale as a joke gift for my wife, who used to be a professional classical musician.)

Rating: EMERSON

Both these are "salt shaker" anachronisms: They are there because they are what everyone in the audience will recognize. The classic example are the salt shakers shown in the first episode of Star Trek to be broadcast. Gene Roddenberry's art director brought up a selection of futuristic-looking salt shakers to be used in a scene where the salt vampire is passing for a human but is tempted to blow cover. Roddenberry used some shakers from the Desilu cafeteria instead because he wanted the audience to know they were salt shakers. (Some of the "futuristic" salt shakers became Dr. McCoy's medical instruments.)