마다가스카의 펭귄 Group Project: Become a Voice Actor!

SJF_Penguin2 posted on Jul 12, 2012 at 01:07PM
Several of you may recall the wall post I put up on June 29 about my thought that it might be fun to try to get a few fans to record a short Penguins of Madagascar scene of some sort together. Since there was a lot of interest, I've spent some time trying to come up with a plan that would allow for a trial. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to conduct a recording session over the Internet with the resources I have available.

I thought I might be able to do it by having participants record their lines on video and then upload their videos to YouTube under the Creative Commons license option, which would allow me to remix the videos using YouTube's online video editor. However, as I've discovered, the online editor is too limited to be able to play around much with audio tracks, let alone think about incorporating artwork or animation. So I've determined that the only way to get the results I'm looking for probably requires having actual video or audio files that I can edit myself.

If people still want to give this project a try, participants would have to email me a video or audio file of the material recorded (or otherwise make the material available for me to download). In either case, it's only the audio portion that would be needed, so no one has to show themselves on camera if a video is submitted.

I already have a scene in mind if there is still an interest in attempting this. The scene calls for the voices of Skipper, Marlene, and Rico. Please respond on this forum if you would be interested in playing one of these characters. For now, it's OK if more than one person is interested in playing the same character. Additionally, if you're not up to voicing a character, the scene also calls for a number of visuals that you might be interested in working on instead.

I hope to post more details in the coming days. Until then, please comment with any and all thoughts you may have.

마다가스카의 펭귄 140 replies

Click here to write a response...
Previous

Showing Replies 1-50 of 140

over a year ago stlouisfan said…
Sounds interesting.
over a year ago mostar1219 said…
laugh
Awesome. My TV talking skills can come in effect. I've recited 2 full episodes of POM before and a few quotes.
over a year ago Andjane said…
smile
as i said early id be happy to help in anyway i can although trust me im not good at any of those voices XD I'm curently working on my drawing skills but really i'm no good so if theses anything else i can do sign me in lol
over a year ago Private1sCut3 said…
This sounds like it'll be fun, so I'd love to give it my best shot. Since Marlene is the only girl, and I can't do a guy's voice, I cold try her. If I do end up doing this, I'm not sure how I could record it.... I do have a webcam x3 so that might work.

Do you want our voice to sound exactly like theirs or very similar? x3
over a year ago beastialmoon said…
cool
Its times like these I wish I had a microphone. It's an intriguing idea, certainly.
over a year ago SJF_Penguin2 said…
@Private1sCut3: Unless you're secretly Nicole Sullivan, you don't need to sound "exactly" like Marlene. Just try your best.
over a year ago MaxTheCat said…
smile
That's great, I think I'll try to make my voice sound like Max
over a year ago xDark_Angelx said…
Hmm, this sounds like a good idea. I'll consider this (for the part as Marlene, because of the three, my only hope of doing at all well is the only female XD). Good thing my laptop has a microphone. It sounds great. :3
over a year ago Skipperlovah258 said…
Cool. Sign me up! Also, to all you girls out there, there are 3 other choices you can do: Becky, Stacy, Baboon lady. Yes I know they aren't considered primary characters in the show but, hey, they're girls. ;)
Thank you for your interest so far. I'd like to now introduce the next phase of the project: trying to get some dialogue recorded. This will probably be the most difficult part to coordinate, but it's also the most essential.

To not complicate things more than they already have to be, I've decided to pick something relatively simple to be recorded: one of the double-drabbles from my 2010 One Hundred Days of Drabbles: Double Time! project. If this trial is successful, something longer and with more characters can be considered in the future.

Titled "A Ninja's Worst Enemy," the scene below calls for the voices of Skipper and Marlene, with one word spoken by Rico. The dialogue remains the same as in the double-drabble itself, but the scene is now presented in script form so that it is easier to understand to voice and represent visually.

Anyone who wishes to voice a character may go ahead and record that character's lines right away. For now, it's OK if more than one person records lines for the same character; the best voice will be selected in the end, so consider your recording as an audition. I would, however, ask that each person recording material to record their lines at least twice so that the best quality recording can be used. Once you complete your recording, let me know and I will tell you how to get it to me.

Because I want to know fairly soon if this project has a chance and if it is worth investing time and effort in, I am setting a deadline of two weeks for the audio portion to be recorded. If I don't have what I need by Saturday, July 28, I may have to determine that the project is simply not practical to do.

For the visual artists here, you can take a look at the types of scenes that I would like to have represented, but you don't have to start drawing anything yet. I will not ask anyone to draw anything until the audio portion is edited together.

If there are any other questions (and I hope there will be because that would mean people are really interested and committed), please feel free to ask them.

-----

Visual: Scene opens as Marlene enters the penguin habitat and notices the penguins practicing defense drills with 10 bowling pins that have ninja faces painted on them. She greets the team as she takes notice. Skipper is standing several feet away from the bowling pins as the other penguins stand closer to them.

Marlene: "Hey, guys! Still playing with the bowling pins, eh?"

Visual: Skipper looks toward Marlene.

Skipper (annoyed but still friendly): "Marlene, how many times do I have to tell you that these bowling pins represent evil ninja warriors?"

Visual: Skipper looks back toward his men and the bowling pins.

Skipper (calm but clearly in command): "Show no mercy, boys."

Visual: Upon hearing Skipper's order, Private punches down two of the bowling pins while Rico topples four with a karate chop. Kowalski then gives a kick to take down the remaining four.

Visual: Back to Marlene and Skipper.

Marlene (after a light chuckle): "Three penguins to knock down 10 bowling pins. That's interesting."

Skipper (sarcastic tone): "Oh, really? If you think you can do better, be my guest."

Marlene (confident): "OK. Set them up."

Visual: Skipper waddles over to the pile of bowling pins and sets them back up. He then returns to Marlene.

Slipper: "All right, Marlene, show me what you got."

Visual: Marlene then pulls out a bowling ball from nowhere and sticks her fingers in the finger holes. She then lines the ball up and releases it toward the pins.

Visual: Cut to Rico across the cement platform, standing near the pile of now-knocked-over bowling pins.

Rico: "Strike!"

Visual: Marlene dusts her paws off and smiles confidently at Skipper.

Marlene: "And that's how it's done, Skipper."
last edited over a year ago
hmmm
Ok, I never done anything like this ever, and I don't think anyone else here has too. x3 But I'm giving it a go It sounds like fun. I hope for the best for this project to work out, btw.

Do you want us to record our audition once and then after the first time is completed start with a second time around or just repeat our lines twice in a row before finishing the whole recording? Sorry if that doesn't make sense. x3
@Private1sCut3: The first option would be easier. Record from start to finish once and then do it again.
over a year ago Tressa-pom said…
smile
Can I try Marlene too?
over a year ago NoShameHere said…
It may be something I could try...

I've stated before, becoming a voice actor is a dream of mine, however there's ALWAYS that issue with my crappy self confidence. XD
over a year ago EppofangirlXD said…
I'm interested and it looks fun... But I'm probably too scared to since I suck. O.o I'll attempt Marlene maybe...

Nope, tried it, voice doesn't fit. Maybe I'll do visuals... Would you also need sound effects too SJF, for the bowling pins?
over a year ago skipper12a said…
Hi :D Like I said earlier I'll definitely be interested.I can do a fairly accurate Rico (funny because I'm a girl), and I just tried the scene and I can't stop myself laughing when I finished. Maybe I could try being Rico for this one? It's a small part, but I'll take it.
over a year ago CuteCuddly said…
hmmm
I have one question. How would we get the voice recordings to you, SJF? I haven't recorded anything, but I'd like to know how we'd do it, so that I can consider if I would be able to. And if not, what other jobs would there be to do, because I really wanna help with this, anyway I can.
Anyone interested in Skipper yet? I don't necessarily need a guy to do it, I just need someone who can do a Skipper-sounding voice.

@Tressa-pom: Sure. The more the merrier.

@NoShameHere: You'll never know unless you try!

@EppofangirlXD: Yes, I do intend for there to be some sound effects. I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to do them yet, but I'll probably just knock some wood or bottles over. I also have a single bowling pin somewhere. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions about sound effects?

@skipper12a: Go for it!

@CuteCuddly: Unless I can think of a better way, those who record material will have to either email me a file or put the file up on a file-sharing website so that I can download it. If people want to send to me by email, I will message them the address. If people are hesitant to send from their real email address, they can create a new Yahoo! or Gmail one in about a minute, use it once, and then forget about it. As for other jobs, I'm not sure yet. This production is too short to need something like a musical score. But I'll post if I need anything else in the future.
over a year ago MaxTheCat said…
big smile
Oh man I tried to imitate Max's voice and I sound nothing like him, not even close. My voice sucks ugh, I wish I never talked. Guess I'll have to find someone else to voice, maybe Randy, or the Rat King.

I think if we all work together on this project, I think it's feasible. I just know it. I'm planning on studying on animation real soon anyway so I might be able to suggest a couple of ideas in the future.

If anything, I think in my opinion the closest animation we can do is 2d animation, I know most of you already know that, but I'm just trying to emphasize it just in case.

But if you really want the characters to move and talk I would recommend that the best type of animation we can do in a short and fastest span of time is Flash Animation. Similar to how most cartoons like HTF are created on youtube. I know my contribution isn't much but I'm hoping it somehow sparks an idea in your mind.

@MaxTheCat: While animation would be great, I'd be satisfied if I only end up with a series of still drawings. But seeing as I can't draw the characters let alone animate them, just how much will go into that end of the project will depend on the willingness and talents of this project's visual arts department.
@SJF: I'll see what I can do. I can try Skipper, maybe, but I'm not sure if I could.
XD I'll give it a try.

The problem is, my voice isn't the most feminine, but not guyish, either. I don't even know how to describe it. XD

I'm home by myself tomorrow- well this whole week actually, so it'll be nice a quiet then. :3
I've tried doing Marlene's voice, but it just isn't going to work for me. Maybe I'll try Skipper's, though since I'm a girl, it might not work out well. But I still want to give this thing a go.
@NoShameHere: I don't think that I could describe my voice, either. What I do know is that I do not have the voice of any of the characters. But because nobody knows what they are supposed to sound like, I could probably do Manfredi or Johnson. Maybe in some future project I could do one and you can do the other.

While only Skipper, Marlene, and Rico are needed for this trial, if there are any other characters that anyone here knows they can do well, feel free to mention them for possible future projects.
over a year ago hotsnowsels said…
Wow, sounds like a lot of work, but a lot of fun too! Unfortunately, though I'm fairly good at reciting lines and replicating speech patterns, my voice does not sound much like any of the main characters. I could try recording myself in my room alone, and see if I might be able to do a minor character or something in the future. I also lack in drawing skills apart from looking off of something as a guide. Is there anything else you could think of that I might be able to assist with?
I suppose, if this all goes well and we eventually move on to bigger scenes, that I could submit scripts. Would that be possible? Of course, baby steps. This has to work first.
laugh
@SJF: I can do Mort, Julian, and Private. I could also do Phil! JK. XD
I'm pretty good with British accents..even better when I'm watching Harry Potter or something like that. XD But, yeah, I'm planning to do the voicing tomorrow and hopefully get it in by the end of the day. Hope it goes well.
I'm planning on doing the voicing maybe today or tomorrow. Hopefully it's going to go alright!
over a year ago skipper12a said…
Well if I'm doing Rico anytime should be fine for me. I'm trying to see how I can erase away the last bits of female in my voice for the part, and so far it's working :D I'm also testing for all the other penguins, though I'm trying more for Private.
over a year ago EppofangirlXD said…
Well, if possible in the future I could try Mort or Eggy.... I probably do better with higher pitched voices. Or write a script! But yeah, I know, we're sticking to this first. XD
surprise
Hold on! IS script-writing an option????? If it is, could I help with that?
smile
I've done my recording, and I would like to send it via email. What do I do?
worried
^Me too. I'm done now. =) I tried and I guess I'll send in the ones I think sound the best. xD I hope they're some help to this project.
Thank you to those who have commented about voicing future characters.

@hotsnowsels and CuteCuddly: I'm open to the possibility of accepting scripts in the future, as well as perhaps working to get a few different people together to work on writing something. Also, if the test with my short scene is successful, it may inspire others to attempt their own. I may be the first, but I don't have to be the only producer.

@Skipperlovah258 and Private1sCut3: I will send each of you a message shortly with further instructions. Thanks for your work!
over a year ago Riconator said…
You probably want a recording that dosen't have background noise or blurry sound, right? I believe I have a recording tool on here but I have to be sure it works. I would like to try Rico with his grunt lines with the ninja pins. And the Strike! line. And try Skipper if you'd like but I'm not that good
smile
@SJF: If you ever need a script writer, I'm always available.
@SJF_Penguin2 In reference to your earlier comment, THAT would be awesome. XD

Unfortunately, even with a few days practice, I can't quite get these ones right. My voice is just too in between. XP

Either way, something s going on with my computer, and the sound comes out jittery. Bad speakers I think, so I guess I'm just going to have to hope four multimedia classes can come in handy instead. XD
over a year ago JediPenguin16 said…
Seems like you've really got the ball rolling on this one. Awesome. While you guys work on that I'm going to try to learn some basic animation skills, hopefully by the time everything is ready I may be able to have a story-board like montage ready for it.
over a year ago mouseandowl1 said…
That script was awesome. That's exactly what marlene would do. I would help with the animating, but I'm only good with clay figures.
I'm pleased to report that this project has reached an important milestone. I was successfully sent two auditions for the Marlene part and listened to them this morning. While anyone can still record for Marlene, receiving the first two recordings gave me the feeling that we can indeed pull this off.

@Riconator: Yes, the cleanest sound possible is desired. I hadn't actually thought much about grunts, but that would be a good sound effect to include if you want to give it a try. And, sure, you may also try for Skipper, especially considering that Rico only has one line.

@JediPenguin16: That would be nice to see. Thank you for wanting to give that a try.

@mouseandowl1: Thank you. Maybe someday we could try a little stop-motion animation with clay, but it would be a lot of work.
over a year ago Pomfan2011 said…
big smile
Wow that sounds AMAZING great idea!! Sign me up as well!
@Pomfan2011: Sure. What would you like to do?
smile
Maybe I'll try later on.
over a year ago mouseandowl1 said…
smile
Perhaps I can make a short stop motion theme song with my figurines.
over a year ago LeonardFan said…
big smile
Hey I almost forgot, when I was watching National Geographic Pay Attention Episode, they showed something in animation about Sound Effects, this is also being used in radio drama to make the story realistic, since only audio is available. How about making sound effects to make it more interesting? It's merely a suggestion from me, but if you people want to include that, then go ahead!
over a year ago Pomfan2011 said…
big smile
Voice acting but if you need a script writer i'd be glad to help!!
^ mind if I help, too? With the script writing.
over a year ago Riconator said…
hmmm
I've finished mine. I just did Skipper and no way I sound anything like him. So the recording I did has only Rico. I did a karate chop "hee-ya!" and the Strike! line which literally took a 100 times to get it right. It may still not be right but you can hear for yourself and tell me if theirs any changes needed. I uploaded it to Rapidshare and I can send you the link to download if you'd like?
Perhaps it's just my personal opinion, but I think we're getting a bit ahead here. XD

I'm in no way qualified to give orders, but I'd like to make the suggestion, that maybe we should just focus on voice acting, as it appears that IS what's needed right now. XD
over a year ago LeonardFan said…
big smile
^Good idea :) I think we should make list of what we should do first, similar to a checkbox. Once were done with a certain task (e.g. voice acting) we move on to visuals, then so on and so forth until we finish everything. We focus one thing, then move on to the next. Just to make things more efficient.