해리 포터 대 트와일라잇 The Many Plot Holes of Twilight

han-han posted on Apr 24, 2010 at 03:57AM
Plot holes are to Stephenie Meyer's works as fish are to water. So, how many plot holes can you find?

I'll start you off. My friend and I, crazychlo, were thinking one afternoon and a thought crossed our minds.

If Edward has no pulse, how can he get and erection and therefore impregnate Bella? That confused us and we spent several ours after scratching our heads.

해리 포터 대 트와일라잇 227 replies

Click here to write a response...

Showing Replies 151-200 of 227

over a year ago GemonkDruid said…
^ LOL yeah. ;D
over a year ago venvargie said…
tongue
while I'm at it-sorry venvargie, even though you're trying to be nice to Twilight, I have to say I disagree :p

Pfft. It's cool. xD I was just falling asleep and that happened to fall into my head. O3O I dunno if it's right or not but...
I'm bored...
hmmm
Me too..
over a year ago lucius_malloy said…
And me :D
Ooh, I know! Let's bask in the glory that is Chuck Norris!
My dad, scum that he may be, trained with Chuck Norris.
True story.
O RLY? :o
YA RLY.

My dad took a lot of martial arts and stuff when he was younger.
He has a bunch of swords and pictures of his masters and stuff in his living room.
But, yeah, he trained with Chuck Norris.
I hate my father with every fiber of my being, but he gets an awesome point for that.
Damn, I lost the game. DX Y'know who's winning the game? Chuck Norris. Followed closely by Spike and Sue Sylvester.
GAH!
YOU SUCK
D8<
Gee, thanks. :PPPPP
surprise
BUMP O:
I was about to do that. >:C

over a year ago gaigaia said…
Ok, let' start it...

Pre-note; Im not from the USA nor am I english, so english is not my mothertongue. There will be mistakes in my posts. Dont worry, be happy.

I will not post here all my thoughts about Twilight, just about some plot holes. But, I would like to point that Twilight isnt as bad as people point. Its a new try on old mythos, and I aprove innovation. But, the literary inconsistency, the shifts of characters personalities, the abandon of sub-plots and the urge to make money destroyed what could have been a great idea. Also, no problem with sparkling vampires. They are just not the vampires in the old mythos.

Anyway, the only plot hole I really care and really freaks me out is at Breaking Dawn. Edward knew bella was seeing charlie. When Aro touched him, he could see that. Thats enough for a war. They broke the mascarade. They die.

I...kind of felt some respect for S.M. when she chosed not to write a war. Somehow, it amused me the way she found and the good excuses for not to do it. It is interesting...but, as the plot hole shows, the war should have breaked.

I think that the volturi wouldnt fight. Come on, 17 werewolves and two dozen of vampires. One with a mass bkb (dota reference) - bella could null the powers of Jane and Alec and they would be shitless. ONe that could make fucking FIRE! One that could make an ilusion that would cage everyone. Thats GG. It would be like:

Aro: No!
*Bella shields. Zafrina's ilusion. Benjamim fire*
*FF victory theme plays*
*Pie*

And even so...17 giganticnormouslitics wolves! The volturi would be raped, seriously. Less in numbers, their powers nullified. Even with raw power, I cant imagine Felix against Zafrinas ilusion and benjamim's X-men power.

So...I still think the war wouldnt happen, but that was a plot hole. Maybe Aro chosed to skip that information when he read Edwards mind?

So, why didnt Edward point it? That they opted to flee? Edward can read his mind.

Anyway...I wanted my wolves to fight, just it.

Be in peace, everyone
last edited over a year ago
I see your point, gaigaia, but still... All the suspense built up, sparklepires coming from every corner of the world... and then it's all kissy-kissy peace? Come on, Meyer, we want bloodshed!!!
over a year ago crazychlo said…
How is Edward not bloated? From what we have learnt he does not dispose of his waste yet drinks all this blood but it really goes no where. One could argue that it goes into energy, which is true, but there should still be waste.

Another thing, in Twilight Bella noted "Edwards face went whiter than usual" after Bella said something shocking, I can't remember. I am guessing that his face went a paler shade of white out of shock, but in order for this to happen blood would have to drain from his face. How? HOW? He has no blood flow etc.
over a year ago venga said…
Hey, Don't know if anyone has added this already! Soz if they have. But this plot hole has been really annoying me!
in the film, Carlisle says that Jasper is the newest to the fanily, but in Eclipse (i think) Alice and Jasper arrive at the Cullens together. Also Alice has been with the Cullens for fifty years but moved into the Forks house. They were supposed to be there about 70 years ago according to twilight!! Arrgghhh.....it's just been doing my head in!!!
over a year ago carlz341 said…
smile
I used to be a fan of Twilight myself, mostly because I'm not quite quick enough to pick up plot holes. That being said, I'm not going to pretend they don't exist.

Renesmee shouldn't exist, as many people have pointed out, seeing that Edward shouldn't have been able to have sex with Bella without turning her into a vampire. Meyer really has no idea how chromosomes split and how babies are made, even I picked this up reading her "explanations".

If Edward's semen is made of venom, where are his sperm? If his body cannot indeed change, he shouldn't have been able to produce the cells. Ignoring this, Renesmee, as one cell, would have died because two animals who have different chromosomes shouldn't be able to reproduce. It's simply impossible.

Again, ignoring this, and assuming that Renesmee's chromosomes met in the middle: Bella=23, Edward=25(wtf?) Renesmee=24?, it almost makes sense that Jacob would be able to imprint on her, seeing that he has the same amount of chromosomes, and they would actually be similar beings. This would also explain why she ages so fast and stops, as this is what Jacob does.

Sorry for defending Twilight. link
over a year ago ilovereading said…
surprise
^Meyer said werewolves have 24 chromosomes? You explained how Jacob is able to imprint on her, but how can other werewolves imprint on normal humans? Human: 23(46), werewolf(If I got it right):24(48), but then their babies would have 23,5(47) chromosomes and creatures with odd number of chromosomes are unable to reproduce, which is, acording to Meyer, the purpose of imprinting.
over a year ago Ultimately57 said…
hmmm
Vampires sparkle when hit by light, or so Meyer says. If they go all sparkly when hit by light, then why are they at highschool...with lots of lights. Okay, if Meyer were to say they only sparkle in sunlight, and that's why they moved to Forks, then they'd still sparkle, unless everything turned black as soon as a cloud passed over.
over a year ago snusnu13 said…
all the meyerpires in the series are generally over one hundred years old? Right? I agree with crazychlo, if say Edward took a step, he would cause an earthquake, and if Aro took a step he should technically cause the whole earth to shake, if he's been drinking blood for thousands of years and not being expelling any.
over a year ago nellish said…
There is an AMAZING book out, titled "Nightlight, a twilight parody". It is official and for sale at bookstores, but it's not for sale in Canada..
over a year ago SpeedyGonzalez said…
I would like to point out some plot holes in the first and second books of the twilight series.

Twilight:
I think that this was mentioned before but Alice should have known that James had called Bella instead of her mom because she has super vampire hearing. In BD Bella could hear some guy called Max having a conversation on his cell. Even if Alice couldn't hear that James had taken her mom hostage she should have had a vision the moment the Bella DECIDED to get on the shuttle.

New Moon:
Alice and Bella could of never arrived in Italy in time to save Edward. I found the math done here: link because I am all too lazy
over a year ago hpr said…
^ You stole the words out of my mouth.

Any twilighters out there, PLEASE explain this:

In Eclipse, Edward had Alice watching Volturi's and Victoria's decisions. But in Twilight, Alice couldn't see James making that phone call? I mean, did she turn off her powers or something? Actually, she should have been able to HEAR James' voice. Like Bella heard Max's boss on the other line of the phone. But even if it works like someone explained earlier: that like their strength, the vampires' hearing abilities begin to deteriorate after the first year (which, BTW, hasn't been mentioned anywhere in the books), shouldn't Alice have been able to see James in a room, talking to Bella? How did James fool Alice?

Oh and couldn't Alice see Bella using the second exit of the restroom to run away?
Pg 436 (Twilight). It was the terminal I needed: the biggest, the most confusing. And there was a door on level three that might be my only chance.
As soon as Bella thought of this, shouldn't Alice have been able to see how Bella would escape?

In chapter 3, Phenonmenon, no one notices Edward appear magically to Bella's side except her. Or else no one cares. This was explained in Midnight Sun by Edward *rolls eyes at the description* - no human eyes could have followed my flight.
But later, neither Alice nor Jasper are able to get hold of Bella by using their super-speed because they can't have anyone notice it?

BTW, how long did Bella stay in High School?
over a year ago hpr said…
Would like to add to first complain para: Couldn't Alice see that Bella's mom hadn't reached Phoenix yet??
over a year ago crazychlo said…
Bumping this epic, epic thread.

I would like to point out, not so much as a plot hole, but just awful writing. Now I didn't think of this, I saw it somewhere, or someone told me, I can't really remember, but in the very beginning of Twilight, Bella says that her mother looks just like her only prettier. The only problem with that is that, in that point in the book, we didn't know what Bella looked like.

It's like me creating a character, and calling her, let's say Jean, and if one of you asked me what she looked like and I said "Oh she looks like me, except prettier" then it's kind of like...great, except we don't know what you look like...

Of course later in the book we do find out what Bella looks like, at the time however, the description of the mother was pointless and just bad writing seeing, technically, we didn't know what Bella looked like yet.
over a year ago Merope29 said…
^true.
over a year ago bantwilite said…
tongue
wat da hell were wives doing in breakin dawn??? i mean it was jst a matter of ONE freakkin baby vampire, rite? ok so those nutters (volutri) were scared (okayyyy..if u say so) of cullens coz they were large in number (haha) so they got guard n witnessn all of tht..but why were the wives thr if they arent even allowed to show thr pretty faces? doesn mke sense Meyer!!!
over a year ago StarKidWeasley said…
This was fantastic. And epic.
over a year ago TAGSSKEE1 said…
okay most of the comments on this thread are not related to the original question, so will pick it up from here. I was a fan of the twilight series but since I have turned my brain back on, there are just too many plot holes for me to enjoy the story anymore. some that have not been mentioned:

1) how is the wolves just start appearing when Bella comes to town when the Cullens were suppossedly in town for the past 2 yrs?
2)James was one vamp against 5, why did they run in the first place?
3)how could alice have found jasper if her site is based on people she knows decisions?
4)In the prom scene in the movie, wouldn't alice have seen Victoria's decision to come to the prom?
5) and if alice was watching the volturis' decisions, how is it she did not see that they had sent 3 of the them to seattle?
6) and why couldnt alice see that victoria had decided to build an army or decide to
7) if edward was cold as ice, how could intercourse have been 'pleasurable'.
8) it was eluded to that edward could not be beaten fighting because he could hear your next move, so why did not he get his ass kicked by Demetri?
9) someone mentioned already mentioned this one but I wanted to know if the voltori feeded on that many people on a regular basis, how is it no missing persons reports or big news stories about people disappearing would not put the vampire secret in jeopardy?
over a year ago thetacoman said…
If nobody knows vampires exist.....
WHY DOES (most) EVERYONE ON EARTH KNOW ABOUT THEM?
Do YOU think Bram Stoker, the Transilvanians, and most of midevil Europe were dating/secretly were a vampire?
Or do Europe and Bram Stoker not exist in Smeyer's sparkly, stupid, "perfect" world?
This isn't a plot hole but just a general wondering. Why isn't Chelsea the leader of the Volturi? Her power is to change the relationships between people so why hasn't she just change the Volturis' loyalty to her and over throw Aro?
over a year ago DarkestZsusanna said…
smile
I have a few comments, but not a single plot hole. I like Twilight. Not because of the writing, obviously, but the idea of it all. If it were possible hellz ya it would be cool. I just want to answer a few of the questions that have been poted recently.

I may have to use a couple of posts so I'll start with a fresh one so that I don't go over
@TAGSSKEE1
1)Sam had already been a wolf along with the Paul and all of them
2)When did they run from James aside from when he was with Victoria and Laraunt? Last I checked they tore his head off. Unless ur talking about the entire idea of them going back to Pheonix and stuff. in which case the answer is to write Twilight and no other reason at all whatsoever
3)My only guess would be that she was watching her own future in which case she still wouldn't have seen the whole series coming because the future always changes
4)She wasn't watching Victoria till she was a threat. which was the third book.
5)I've noticed that too and agree
6)They were thinking of Victoria as a completely different problem. She had put Riley in charge and therefore was not making any decisions. Meyer made that abundantly clear.
7)It wasn't. Bella lies.
8)I don't like Edward so I will not defend him. He's just a wimp.
9)The Volturi have willing donors most of the time but when something of the magnitude suggested in the book and movie they would describe it as a tragic accident.
@SpeedyGonzalez
I was looking forward to answering this particular question because, although you are mostly correct on your explanation of Chelsea's 'power' you were a tad off. Chelsea's exact power is to STRENGTHEN OR WEAKEN RELATIONSHIPS. not to totally control them. That is closer to what Jasper does, though that isn't exact, either. Jasper can make you WANT to do what someone says. Most people do what they want. If Jasper pulled his head out of his ass he would figure that out. I doubt it would be as strong as when he makes someone feel happy but i garuntee that he could do it.
big smile
^Oh thanks that cleared things up :)
over a year ago TAGSSKEE1 said…
Thanks for ur comments DarkestZsuanna but here are my rebuttals:
1) it is clearly indicated that sams gang was new in new moon , not around for 2 yrs
6) why did victoria pick riley? How did riley know about bella if victoria did not tell him? how did riley know the cullens were a danger to them if victoria did not tell him?
over a year ago jenna77 said…
Here are a few things I noticed. If their skin is as hard as granite, how to they bend their elbows? Or any joints, for that matter. When they kiss, are they just knocking their stone lips together? And don't get me started on the sex. Scrape, scrape, scrape... enough said.

In the first book (Or Midnight Sun), the force of the van hurtles Edward into Bella's truck. How is it possible for a van to move a vampire, as strong as they are?

Also in the first book and around the same time, Edward notices how the humans were being extra careful about driving because the roads were icy. But he should have already known that, and had to be careful himself. Just because you're a vampire doesn't mean your car or it's tires are perfect too. He would have needed to use precautions as well.

Also, the books state that a female vampire can't get pregnant because they can't have "cycles". Why then, can a male vampire produce sperm?

Saving Bella from that van should NOT have been that big of an ordeal.

Some people can smell blood. How can Edward, who's about a century old, NOT know this?

While this last one is not really a plot hole, it is something that has always annoyed me. In Midnight Sun, where you read everything from Edward's point of view, he is attracted to the fact that Bella doesn't think like a normal human. Other humans swoon at the sight of him. Why doesn't Bella? Well we know from reading the first book that her reactions to Edward ARE the same as any other female's. So part of his infatuation is based on a non truth.
over a year ago cassie-1-2-3 said…
Answers to the above

1. Skin cells. It was never implied that all their skin cells fused together.

2. He was on the ground? Force? Inertia?

4. Males don't have "cycles"

5. Why not?

7. She didn't make it obvious. She didn't gossip about his wit the other girls, and she didn't giggle and blush all the time.
We were inside her head, Edward wasn't.
over a year ago maximumrider12 said…
@jenna77

For the answer to you last question, it is because Bella shows no emotion to anything ever
More likely, she kept it do herself.
over a year ago alexisn10 said…
1). In Rosalie's chapter in Eclipse, Rosalie discusses how her father was a banker during the great depression. She says that she was 'middle-classed' and that 'The Great Depression was like a myth' this doesn't make any sense. Bankers were extremely poor during the Great Depression and the only bankers that had money were bankers like King Royce (i think that was his name he was Rosalie's soon-to-be fiancee). Also you're telling me that Rosalie was left there half-dead (after being raped by KR and his gang of douches) NO ONE came to save her. Not until hours later until Edward and Carlisle saved her. Hmmm :/

2). Esmee jumps off a cliff after finding out her son has died and almost dies. Bella jumps off a VERY high cliff and is fine. A jump like hers could have paralyzed her waist down or maybe even killed her. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm >:/

3). Charlie is the Chief of Police in Forks. Police officers are supposed to be fast and have opened ears at all times. Oh wait! Not all times. A random guy is sneaking in his daughter's bedroom and has been doing it for months. He does nothing. I doubt Edward's voice was THAT soft for him not to hear Edward. Or at least hear his feet hitting the side of his house. HMMMMMMMMMM!!!

4). Renesmee is not supposed to exist. Edward does not have the blood or sperm to create a baby. If he runs on venom then wouldn't one of Bella's eggs turn into stone or die out? HMMMMMMMMMMM!?!?!?!?

5). Jasper had to lie about his age (he was 17) to get into the Confederate Army. At 17, men were allowed to join the army. The Confederacy was loosing so many soldiers that they even took kids. HHHHHMMMMMM!!!!

6). Meyer herself even said that after being turned into a vampire your body state remains the way it is when you died. So in that case, Bella's back and ribs would still be broken.

7). Meyer also states that Jasper can control emotions through blood flow. How can he control vampires if they have no blood. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! >____<

I believe Smeyer was thinking about the same thing Patrick was thinking about when she was writing this series.
over a year ago DivyaHarry said…
hmmm
1. Why do they go to high school?

2. In New Moon Edward tells Bella that they (Cullens) have to move as Carlisle is still young and people are beginning to notice or something like that (I am not going to watch the movie for the exact description). So when they stick around for 2 more books and 3 more movies that isn't the problem anymore is it?
Alexisin
1. Rosalie's family owned a small bank. They weren't nearly as effected as people who owned larger banks because less people withdrew their money at a slower rate.
2. Esme jumped off a cliff onto a solid ground. Bella jumped off a cliff into water. (might I add that Bella was experienced in diving, so she knows how to dive without dying)
How exactly do you know how high both cliffs were?
3. Who said police officers have cat like senses? Police training doesn't improve your hearing. Also, who says Edward has a heavy step?
4. There's an article about this. Look up "How Edward Got Bella Pregnant"
5. Jasper was 16, not yet 17. The law was technically 18, but they began accepting much younger boys who just said they were 18 without any proof of age out of desparity.
6. You heal during the three day morphine period. You noticed how vampires have quick healing powers, right? That shows they are capable of healing.
7. It has nothing to do with blood flow. Asper manipulates endorphines, adrenaline, and pheramones.
Divya
1. So they can stick around longer.
2. He lied.
over a year ago alexisn10 said…
@cassie-1-2-3
1. A small bank survives during The Great Depression but large big-buisness banks fail? That doesn't make any sense. The Hale's bank would have been the first one to go.

2. Bella would of died or been seriously injured.

3. Hearing someone sneaking into your house is NOT cat-like reflexes. Police officers have to be observant and have their eyes and ears open. Seeing what Edward put Bella through when she left, he should have been suspicious. Charlie is just being a bad police officer. Your job is in and out of that uniform!

4. It still doesn't make any sense. Meyer said HERSELF that vampires cannot get pregnant nor can they get someone pregnant. She just made Bella get pregnant because she had nothing to write about for Breaking Dawn. That's why a lot of fans hated Breaking Dawn.

5. I learned this in US History. The Confederacy was putting up a good fight but towards the end, they started loosing soldiers and fast. They lowered their age limit by a ton. Even kids and women fought. Are you really telling me that a 12-year-old can pass for 18?
1. Not every single bank went bankrupt.
"Surviving banks, unsure of the economic situation and concerned for their own survival, stopped being as willing to create new loans. This exacerbated the situation leading to less and less expenditures."
(link)
Halting loans due to ignorance and selfishness (Don't you think it's likely that Rosalie came from a family like this?) is what saved them.

2. Diving into water is only lethal is you enter the water at the wrong angle. Bella knew how to dive. she had proper form.
Gravity was the only force acting on her body. she was only traveling 32ft/sec. Acceleration is constant during free fall.
I really doubt Bella jumped from 300ft up in the air.
Remember that the Quileutes cliff dived regularly.

3. Charlie was a Chief, not a patrol officer. Even if he once did have those types of heightened senses, he would be way out of practice. My father is only a Sargent and he's out of practice also.
My sister is on the phone in her bedroom this very minute with the door opened. I'm in the living room only about 40 feet away. I cannot hear her.
How can you expect Charlie to hear silent whispers while he's sleeping in a different room, with closed doors between them?

4. Show me where she said that.

5. OMG, I took US history also!! I also have links.
Read link.
"In 1861, President Lincoln announced that boys under eighteen could enlist only with their parents’ consent. The next year, he prohibited any enlistment of those under eighteen. But heavy casualties led recruiting officers to look the other way when underaged boys tried to enlist"
Jasper joined in 1860/1861, when he was 16 years old. Three years before he changed at age 19 in 1863.
It is very possible that Jasper lied about his age because of the law, and the recruiting officers didn't ask for much proof because they were desperate.
Are you really telling me that a 12-year-old can pass for 18"
No, I didn't say that at all.
over a year ago maximumrider12 said…
@cassie-1-2-3

Just admit that Twilight has plot holes :D
The only plot hole I'm certain about is Carlisle getting bitten by a vampire who lived in the sewers before sewers were ever invented.