" alt=" Credit to: link
" width="220" height="299" />
Credit to: http://braveandboldthinking.com/2014/03/25/unveiling-the-truth-about-muslim-women/
First: Here is a link from an actual Muslim woman with her thoughts on how Muslim women are portrayed in America in general.link
Excerpt from Blog (Link Provided)
Second: Here is my personal break-down analysis based on knowledge of Arab/Muslim culture compared to the 디즈니 알라딘 film.
The majority of Princess Jasmine's numerous flaws stem from the fact that she is completely inaccurate and offensive to her culture. From the clothes she wears to the way she speaks, 재스민 속, 재 스민 does not represent Arab 또는 Muslim women at all but rather a disgraceful woman in their culture. Unfortunately, 재스민 속, 재 스민 is not a suitable role model for young girls.
1. 재스민 속, 재 스민 is dressed like a Harem girl instead of a princess. A princess is the daughter of the king who no man is allowed to touch without the king's approval. A harem girl is one of the king's many mistresses. No king would dress his daughter like his mistress. No father would want to see his daughter dressed in that way.
2. 재스민 속, 재 스민 is very impulsive to her detriment. She runs away from 집 which would never happen in reality as she knows she would've been raped and/or killed as a lone female running around, especially in that clothing.
3. 재스민 속, 재 스민 does not choose her words wisely and therefore gets herself into 더 많이 trouble. (Example: She says "At least one good thing will come of me being Queen, I'll have the power to get rid of you!" to Jafar. Now, someone who wasn't trying to stop her from getting to be 퀸 has all of the incentive in the world to stop Jasmine. If 재스민 속, 재 스민 had kept her mouth shut, she could've just became 퀸 and actually got rid of Jafar instead of just talking about it.)
4. 재스민 속, 재 스민 doesn't have enough self worth/value. As she says in Aladdin, "I am not a prize to be won." So she's just some trash to be thrown out? She completely looks at herself the wrong way. She IS a prize to be won and she gets to choose who gets to win. Instead of just being given to someone, her preferences are actually playing a huge part. Most other princesses in the world and most other women in the middle east (Jasmine's culture) would not have had so many luxuries in choice of who to marry as 재스민 속, 재 스민 did.
In addition, when 재스민 속, 재 스민 first meets 알라딘 when he saves her in the marketplace, she immediately goes 집 with him. He is a stranger and she has no idea what he will do to her. She also knows 알라딘 is lying about what Abu says when 알라딘 pretends Abu "thinks it's awful" that 재스민 속, 재 스민 "has to get married". In this moment, she goes to 키스 알라딘 but the guards interrupt. No proper young lady would go back to a strange man's house and let him make his moves on you. If she had 더 많이 self value, she wouldn't be offering her first 키스 to a 랜덤 거리 criminal that she doesn't even know if she should trust 또는 not yet.
5. 재스민 속, 재 스민 is incredibly spoiled. Instead of recognizing how much better her life is than any other woman around her, 재스민 속, 재 스민 refuses to acknowledge her blessings and instead is very spoiled and selfish in her wants for more. Nothing would ever be good enough for 재스민 속, 재 스민 as her life is already better than everyone else around her yet she still complains. All her father wanted, was to know that his daughter would be taken care of 의해 a good man before he died and she wouldn't even give these men the time of day. How is she supposed to know whether 또는 not they are worthy 또는 whether 또는 not she could 사랑 them when she wont even really meet them 또는 give them a chance? She'd be a much 더 많이 pleasant and reasonable person if she at least gave them a chance but made no connection. The film makes it obvious that she doesn't even try to connect with them though.
6. 재스민 속, 재 스민 is absolutely a tease and not just for her clothing. Having watched the film, it is easy to say that her clothes are chosen for her rather than chosen 의해 her. This doesn't change the fact that she is so unpleasant in her personality that the most likely reason for her provocative clothing is so as not to scare off every potential suitor. Besides her clothing though, 재스민 속, 재 스민 acts like a tease on her own accord. She teases 알라딘 on the balcony before berating him. (Refer to #6.)
7. 재스민 속, 재 스민 is referred to as a "Shrew". A "shrew" is a person with violent temper and speech. This is not seen as becoming of a young woman. She should no better when to hold her tongue and when not to. She is also a prejudiced shrew, being awful to innocent people who don't deserve it. When 알라딘 compliments Jasmine, telling her that he thinks she is beautiful, her response is to tease and then berate him. She says "Hmm... Yes. I'm rich too. The daughter of a sultan. A fine prize for any prince." to which 알라딘 says "A prince like me." Hopeful that with his new status, he will finally be worthy of Jasmine's 사랑 and attention. He goes through a lot just to get to see her again and how does she respond? "A prince like 당신 and EVERY other peacock I've met. Just, go jump off a balcony!
" What a shrew! This guy goes through all of this trouble just so he will be allowed to meet and talk to 당신 and all 당신 can say is for him to go kill himself? Over what? Being attracted to you?
8. 재스민 속, 재 스민 is incredibly spoiled. All her father wanted, was to know that his daughter would be taken care of 의해 a good man and she wouldn't even give these men the time of day. How is she supposed to know whether 또는 not they are worthy 또는 whether 또는 not she could 사랑 them when she wont even really meet them?
9. 재스민 속, 재 스민 is prejudiced. She doesn't even want to give 알라딘 a chance just because now he is a prince even though he is the same guy? This proves that 재스민 속, 재 스민 is not a generous 또는 kind person who takes people as they are but rather for what they represent. She didn't even care to know 알라딘 as Ali because of what he represented not who he was as a person.
10. 재스민 속, 재 스민 is a hypocrite. In addition to her being rude to Ali just because he was a prince, she was still rude when she realized he was 알라딘 the whole time. When she tricked Ali into admitting that he was Aladdin, she got very upset and started yelling at him. She yelled at him because he lied about who he was even though she started the lying in the first place when she lied about being a princess. How could she get mad at 알라딘 for pretending to be something he's not when she did the exact same thing? Somehow it's right when she does it but wrong for anyone else? Exact definition of a hypocrite. Both 알라딘 and 재스민 속, 재 스민 felt trapped 의해 their positions in society and they both lied about who they were to discover another world they felt denied of. She had no leg to stand on whatsoever for getting mad at Aladdin.
Personally, this is all a shame to me because they pretended 재스민 속, 재 스민 was an Arab princess but then they designed everything about her to be American 또는 an Arab harlot. This is not representative of her culture 또는 of a princess. [I personally would have loved to see her 더 많이 true to character as I think Muslim/Arab women have a very unique grace and bravery that could have been shown.]
I believe the reason that 재스민 속, 재 스민 gets negatively portrayed in lots of "fan fiction" is because she is so much in conflict with her own culture and princess culture. It is hard for grown adults to take 재스민 속, 재 스민 seriously as a role model for young girls when she is portrayed this way.
More Accurate Portrayal of an Arabian Princess
*Credits for drawing to link
Had 재스민 속, 재 스민 been portrayed 더 많이 accurately, she would've been far 더 많이 like Cinderella, Ariel 또는 Belle. She would've been braver, kinder and 더 많이 modest. She would've had 더 많이 grace and poise the way a princess should. The most accurate 재스민 속, 재 스민 was portrayed in 알라딘 was in her purple royal engagement announcement dress. That is the 재스민 속, 재 스민 who should be sold to the little girls. Not the spoiled, impulsive, shrew-like tease version of her.
NOTE: 알라딘 IS taken from "1001 Nights" 또는 "Arabian Nights". Princess 재스민 속, 재 스민 is based on Princess Badroulbadour who is Chinese (not Arab) and described as being somewhat spoiled and vain.
Since some of the 코멘트 have taken a life of their own, I wanted to post some here that deserve not to be 로스트 in that sea. If anyone is uncomfortable with my reposting their 코멘트 here, please let me know and I will remove it.
Princess Badroulbadour who 재스민 속, 재 스민 is based on.
Polite Agreements & Disagreements
A Real Muslim Girl's Opinion (Whose Culture 재스민 속, 재 스민 is Supposed to Represent)