토론 Gaza and Isreal problems

Mallory101 posted on Jan 13, 2009 at 11:23PM
Some of you might have come to know that Isreal and the Gaza strip have been fighting for maybe about 2 weeks.....so i would like to know what you think about this tricky yet tradject problem.....

토론 3 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago Cinders said…
"... Isreal and the Gaza strip have been fighting for maybe about 2 weeks"

Oh honey, they've been fighting for over sixty years.

link
link
link
link
link
link
link

I give you these links because, having lived in Egypt, this is a topic very close to my heart. I encourage Americans to learn everything they can about it. Because Israel defending itself is one thing, Israel deciding it's necessary to take out civilian targets is one thing, but using PHOSPHORUS on those targets is against human rights law, and shows a complete and total disregard for the welfare of the citizens of Gaza far beyond that of just bombing them.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago hooch-is-crazy said…
This is a bit late because a ceasefire was reached a while ago, but I still felt I should say this.

Yes, using phosphorus on the targets is against human rights law, but so is planting your military base among civilians, Israelis didn't target civilians. And then there's the slogan of the Hamas paramilitary group, I'm not sure exactly but it was something along the lines of "Israel must be destroyed". Also I should point out that it isn't Israel fighting Palestinians or the people of the Gaza strip, but them fighting Hamas paramilitary. I think that Hamas were asking for civilian targets to be killed by placing their military bases in highly populated areas, in fact, by doing that, Hamas have shown "a complete and total disregard for the welfare of the citizens of Gaza".
over a year ago Cinders said…
I acknowledge that it's a complicated and convoluted situation, and that Hamas and Hezbollah are problems. And like I said, Israel deciding to target civilian targets in order to get Hamas IS a tough call that leaders sometimes have to make in wartime. But using biochemical warfare is against human rights laws in ANY war.

"It isn't Israel fighting Palestinians or the people of the Gaza strip, but them fighting Hamas paramilitary."

Tragically, if you take a look at the limitations and treatment of Palestinian civilians in Israel and the occupied territories, you'll see this is not the case. Palestinians cannot travel freely, even within the nation, due to checkpoints set up everywhere across the roads. Palestinians cannot export their goods, and their career choices are limited simply because they are Palestinians. These economic restrictions are link, and unable to live a self-sufficient, free lifestyle that their Israeli counterparts can. So it's plain that Israel is fighting the Palestinian population, if not on a militaristic level, then definitely on an economic one.

My point is, Israel cannot continue to be perceived as the victim. Moreover, Israel does not claim to be a victim. It is simply a country at war with a people. Similarly, Hamas and Hezbollah can no longer claim victim status.

The facts remain that for every Israeli killed, three Palestinians are killed. This is because of the disregard for who they kill both on Israel's and Hamas's parts. But as a government, Israel has attempted (and in my opinion, failed) to fight fire with fire, or terrorism with terrorism. And not only do I think that tactic is ineffective, but I also think it is not justified.