Critical Analysis of Twilight Why?

teamalice_0 posted on Nov 10, 2009 at 04:51AM
I'm not being judgemental or anything but what do you have against TWILIGHT! I mean the rabid fans are crazy but why?

Critical Analysis of Twilight 17 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago pixie09 said…
big smile
its not that we hate twilight .. well i dont .. its just funny coz once you get over the initial swoon factor of bella and edward's oh-so-romantic relationship, you kinda realise that bella is a bitch, edward is just annoying and jacob black kiks ass :DD

and once you read something else after it, you kinda realise that twilight isnt acctually that well written, has a slightly poor story line and is not really worthy of being compared to harry potter and such like :D

dont get me wrong, i have read the books and loved them, but they are a really light and easy read .. and the popularity for a book with no story line, no great wit or brilliance of any kind is rediculous :p

hope that answered ur question :D
over a year ago Myf_1992 said…
^ Agreed ^^

I like twilight. I LOVE Jacob and the wolves. But once you get over the initial wow factor of the saga, its not that well thought out, and the subliminal messages given are really bad ones (check out the anti-feminism article somewhere here).

I don't think its that we don't like it, there's a lot of fans here, and this was firstly a place to get away from the craziness of twilight, but be able to still enjoy it, its just that we can see the flaws, we can admit them make a few jokes bout it (the ones worth joking about, some like the anti-feminism in the book and pedophilia isn't joking material).

This is a healthy place to discuss twilight and its flaws AND attributes.

This ISNT a hate site, honestly, we do like twilight(some of us) here. We just prefer to discuss it in a more in depth way without being criticized for realising faults, or answered with "OME! YOU DONT LYK EDWRD!!!!!! WHUTS RONG WITH U???? EDWARD IZ LYK SO HAWT!!! UR JUST JEALOUS! JACOB SUCKS!!!!" (exaggeration I know lol but couldn't resist).

I know to someone who is use to an enviroment that is full positive feedback conserning twilight, i.e. its all good points, this place may seem haterish but it honestly isn't.

hope this helped =D
over a year ago katiecain said…
Not everyone here does have a thing against Twilight. It is for critical analysis of it, something you do not get at the Twilight spot.
over a year ago renrae said…
"I know to someone who is use to an enviroment that is full positive feedback conserning twilight, i.e. its all good points, this place may seem haterish but it honestly isn't. "

...and the Great Myfcat has spoken. Brava, Myfcat, Brava!

Now we just need Cinders in here and we'll be done.
surprise
Where is Cinders, havn't seen her round here in a while.

They're all leaving us, first laureng114 now Cinders! The worlds coming to an end!!!!!
over a year ago Perplexed said…
I'm also really thankful for a place to do some critical thinking about Twilight. I've read the books, seen both movies. I'm neither a teenager nor unhappy with my love life. I wasn't unpopular in high school, I don't have an obsessive personality and I'm not in love with Robert Pattinson (although I do appreciate his acting and having his face to look at.) I actually graduated as a literature major in two languages and have a Masters degree in literature. And yet, I'm still attracted to it and don't fully understand that attraction and am looking to hear more from those who are in the same boat. I think it's important any time something has become as insanely popular as it is to think critically about it and make sure you're not being caught up in something unconsciously, especially if it can have implications on the way you view yourself and your relationships with others.
over a year ago Mermaid-Tail said…
sunny
The above reasons are all really good ones. I just want to add one reason (aside from just being interested in debate) an anti would want a place to vent. Picture something you dislike, anything. Now imagine everywhere you looked you saw an ad for it. Half the time someone finds out you dislike it they yell at you and insult you. People constantly find a way to bring it up in discussions that have absolutely nothing to do with it. That's what it's like disliking Twilight in a Twilighters world. Weirdly, even though this spot is about Twilight it actually provides a break from the hype.

Also there are themes and messages in the book I dislike and I enjoy talking about my issues with Twilight and hearing the views of people who see it differently.
over a year ago sapherequeen said…
heart
Well, I can only speak for myself, so here's why I'm apart of this fanclub.

I like Twilight probably as much as you do, but I have some strong opinions about it, and these opinions are based on details I dislike. Such as Jacob imprinting on Renesmee. I think it's creepy and very disturbing, but of course most fans may not agree with me. So this fanclub is the perfect place for me to express my dislikes about imprinting. A lot of people here don't really hate Twilight, it's kind of a place for us to just express our opinions without being crudely judged afterwards.
over a year ago crazyduds2 said…
It's a bad rip off of Romeo and Juliet, really.

I read good literature, and this will not be a classic. The only reason it's so popular is because the advertisement has half naked guys on it and Stephanie Meyer kept her name on everyone's tongue because she kept releasing things just as Twilight was coming out.

I guess for me, it's two parts crazed fans, one part bad grammar, and three parts rip off of Shakespeare. That's what did it.

Need something to read? Here's a recommendation.
Harry Potter.
Enough said.
over a year ago joe-edwardfan said…
angelic
if u guys hate twilight why do u think about it? or even make a twilight hate club?
i know im a huge twilight saga lover but i dislike some parts of the books or i can say i really hated new moon the film!(the film was very slow and was getting on my nerves)
but still whenever i read twilight i feel happy its the one thing that makes me happy when im depressed or sad
so stop being so childish! and let us live with some happiness!
over a year ago renrae said…
THIS. IS. NOT. A. HATE. CLUB.

Did you even read the above discussions?

I can counter that: If you love Twilight so much, then why don't you let us live in happiness? Let us analyze it and have healthy, balanced debate on a spot that is the only place we can do this without getting bagged on.
over a year ago nuxi said…
A couple excerpts from TwilightSucks' FAQ:
link
(I don't know if the CAT spot has a similar mission statement kind of thing but it would be a good idea if we could find a way to give one a permanent prominent position on the front page)

Q: Are You Harassing The Fans?

A: No. And no our goal nor purpose is to upset the fans, at least not intentionally. We do NOT go out of our way to make little fangirls cry or wet their pants. We do not support or promote trolling the fans; we keep everything on our own turf. (However you may see Antis voicing their opinions elsewhere such as Myspace, YouTube, or Twitter. These sites are open to EVERYONE; the fans do NOT own those networks so stop bitching about it!)

You will never EVER see one of our members purposely seeking out fans on their own domain in hopes of provoking a verbal battle of insults. Trolling fansites is a highly bannable offense which we do not take lightly.

Q: You Guys Are Just Wasting Your Time Hating a Book, Why Not Do Something Productive For A Change?

A: We're not wasting our time at all; in fact we've made a great impact on the masses concerning our viewpoints on the series and will continue to do so. What we're doing IS productive. Instead of sitting on our asses drooling and fantasizing about Edward's incandescent chest and marble sculpted biceps we're actually analyzing the series. Deciphering underlying messages, correcting misused adjectives, pointing out blatant contradictions, emphasizing on plot holes, contemplating "What Ifs", etc. All things I had to do in school! So WHY you guys think doing this is so...unfathomable and blasphemous is beyond me.

Never have I seen a fandom have the power to redefine the meaning of say...a book club...which use to be a gathering of literary enthusiasts who loved the process of breaking down a book and discussing the many different topics, elements, and meanings on whatever work they were currently focusing on to be quickly turned into just a horde of girls who only ever squeal, daydream, and cream themselves over fictional characters and the actors who (PRETEND!) to be them.

Q: Whats Wrong With Me Liking Twilight Huh?

A: Nothing. Our mission is not to seek out fans and brainwash them into 'seeing the light', they can do that on their own accord but we're not here to force anyone to do anything. We accept if you like Twilight and we do not feel the dying urge to change that. To some, Twilight is their life. To others, it's a guilty pleasure. As for most of us here, it makes us grit our teeth and pull our hair but that's not to say we can't get along with its fans. It's the book we hate and although some of the diehard fans can be annoying, that doesn't mean we hate them or you. We're always willing to give any fan the benefit of the doubt.
last edited over a year ago
"if u guys hate twilight why do u think about it? or even make a twilight hate club?
i know im a huge twilight saga lover but i dislike some parts of the books or i can say i really hated new moon the film!(the film was very slow and was getting on my nerves)
but still whenever i read twilight i feel happy its the one thing that makes me happy when im depressed or sad
so stop being so childish! and let us live with some happiness!"

This is not a hate club, I cannot stress that enough! We analyse the books. For example, the fact that it's called a saga. A saga is a series of books (or other media) involving more than one generation . For example, Star Trek may be classed a saga now as there is more than one generation in the series. And although Renesmee is born in Breaking Dawn, it doesn't really count as a saga. This is the kind of things we discuss. We are not hating it. We are discussing it, like you would in a book club or classroom. We ask ourselves and others the sort of questions you'd typically find in an English exam paper. And also, in this spot you may vent on why and how New Moon film bothers you, without being tormented or back chatted. We may ask questions such as, "yes, the film did slow down in pace at times, but didn't you feel the that they were trying to build an atmosphere?".

I feel extremely angry, and insulted at being called childish. We have made our own spot in which we can vent, away from you, so that we a) can have a break of extreme twilight fans from having a go at us and b) so you don't have to listen to us if you don't wish to. There's always two sides to a coin, where ever something is loved, somewhere it will also be hated, you just have to accept it, brush it off and move on!

I also want to bring up a spat I had once, may seem irrelevant but trust me there's a reason for it. At the vampire's spot I said that I don't believe vampires exist. According to science they can't. Someone who believed in vampired messaged me very angrily saying, how could I say that, they hated me, at the vampire's spot of all places, I have no respect for believers, science can't prove everything. I did calmly try to explain to them that the vampire spot is a place for fans of vampires, believers and nonbelievers alike. If she would like me to respect her views and beliefs, then she must do the same for me, we can't all think alike, and we must learn to live with one another. Sadly it fell on deaf ears, but I hope it doesn't here. Yes, you love twilight, but understand that not all of us do. We will leave you in peace, and respect that you love Twilight, if you leave us alone, and respect that we don't.

That's all I have to say.
over a year ago Frizzhead said…
Just in response to joeedwardfan this is not a hate club it is a place to analyse certain aspects of the series there may be people who class themselves as haters but since dearheart posted the rules as you will see link they cant go overboard.
should it matter to you if we may not like twilight or have faults with it. Everyone has opinions and i would like if mine was taken into account and if this in some way kills your happiness i suggest you adapt or dont go on the spot because we look at certain parts in a factual way. such as is it normal for someone to look at a stranger while they are sleeping etc and you might not like how we do that but dont worry there are over six thousand twilight related spots on fanpop so i am sure you will find one :)

(dont get mad this is my opinion)
over a year ago nuxi said…
i just have to say: that was a really long sentence. lol
over a year ago SimplyLaurel said…
The writing is just not good.

I understand the appeal; the characters are easy to relate to and every teenage girl dreams about Mr. (Seemingly) Perfect. However, once one takes the time to look a little closer, they notice the bad writing and underlying messages.

For all the hype, it just isn't that great.
over a year ago happyfreak said…
meh
Everybody is entitled ro their own opinion. I just wish my classmantes kept that in mind when they nearly killed me because I said "I am over Twilight, the guys really ain't that cute."