기독교 Respectfully, I would like to pose a question.

Cinders posted on Sep 23, 2008 at 08:07AM
Would one of you wonderful people explain to me why sex is seen as shameful, even in wedlock? Beyond that, why sex out of wedlock is considered sinful?

This is a curiosity of mine. It is not meant to offend, and I mean absolutely no disrespect, it is simply a question I know that ONE of you will answer satisfactorily for me.

On another note, I am not Christian, but I respect the religion. Looking at it with a critical eye, I have to ask why certain things in the Bible are still considered sins today, while certain other things remain purposefully ignored. (IE, wearing gold, eating shellfish, working on the sabbath are all sins that are ignored by most Christians today).

I just was wondering what your rules are of which sins are "outdated" and which are timeless, so to speak.

Your answers, opinions, and input on this subject is welcome and very much appreciated!

And once again, I seriously mean no disrespect.

기독교 6 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago knifewrench said…
I'll do my best to answer, but bare in mind that opinions on each question vary a bit depending on denomination and individual person.

"why sex is seen as shameful, even in wedlock?"
I don't consider sex to be shameful; could you quote where you heard that? I honestly can't remember any passages which said it was, although I haven't read many passages on sex.

"why sex out of wedlock is considered sinful?"
Sex is a gift designed to help married couples connect/bond/ feel closer to each other. Using a gift from God the wrong way is a big no-no. Some question why it's specifically for married couples; the reason is because marriage is used as a confirmation that you have found the right person for you. Once you've recognized that xyz is the person you want to be with, there's no chance of bonding (via sex) with the wrong person.

"wearing gold, eating shellfish, working on the sabbath are all sins that are ignored by most Christians today"
Haven't heard of those before. I assume that shellfish are one of the "unclean animals" and therefore not allowed to be eaten. In the book of Acts, Peter was told via a vision that all animals are clean (since they are made by God) so there are no forbidden foods.

"Wearing gold is a sin" is probably another obscure rule found in the book of Leviticus. I guess it's because it's kinda showing off and like "Hey look at me! I can afford gold! Woooo!". I think the "no gold rule" is supposed to teach people not to be boastful. But it's all relative really, there's no way we can be completely and utterly modest.

If you find something in The Old Testament, it's always best to double-check it in The New Testament. Jesus corrected and redefined a lot of the Old Testament teachings and assumptions about God during "The Sermon On The Mount".

Regarding working on the Sabbath, this is another one of those "relative" things. I may be wrong, but the Sabbath day is supposed to be a day spent reflecting and talking to God, that means leaving your crops and chores for the next day and what-not. It's absolutely impossible to do this all-day every Saturday, but it's good to spend more of the day praying on Saturday than you would on other days.

You might question why I'm saying "Saturday". Many people believe that Sunday is the Christian's Sabbath. But really, it's just the day we meet up. Traditionally, this was so we could meet in secrecy without the Romans knowing, as free time on Saturday is reserved for praying to God and the other five days are working days.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago Cinders said…
Thanks a lot, knifewrench, that was really helpful!

The shameful thing comes of behavioral observations I made as part of a social experiment. Nothing in the Bible. I suppose not everyone would consider it shameful.

But thanks, that was really helpful. :o)
over a year ago knifewrench said…
No problem :)
over a year ago blackdoggy1 said…
I don't think it's shameful, especially in marriage. I only think it's shameful when it's just gratuitous sex and not with someone that you truly love (if you're a consenting adult.) Because when you just give yourself over to anyone for a few minutes of fun, or to get them to like you, then you are disrespecting yourself and your body. You deserve more than to be treated as someone's good time, and they deserve more than to be treated as your good time. But, as an adult, to make love to someone who you are truly emotionally connected to and want to spend the rest of your life with? Nothing shameful in that at all.
over a year ago Cinders said…
That's a very thoughtful response. Thanks!
over a year ago Dearheart said…
Hey - did you know that there is a whole book in the Bible about the beauty of sex within marriage??

Yep. It's called Song of Solomon, and it's all about the love and physical intimacy between a husband and wife...though it could also be interpreted as a picture of the love Christ has for His church.

A lot of people think that the Bible is against sex, but nothing could be farther from the truth! It IS against sexual immorality, fornication, sex outside of marriage, etc...but sex inside the protection and love of a marriage is one of the most beautiful, sacred and intimate things there is! God created it, for crying out loud; so why should we label "shameful" something He made to be good?

Granted, I still think it's a bit...creepy. But considering I'm only 17, I guess that's a good thing for now. ;)
last edited over a year ago