(Hee, I hope the title of this thread doesn't sound too arrogant. "HAI THAR HEATHENS I'M A PASTOR'S KID AND THEREFORE KNOW EVERYTHING AND AM MORE AWESUM THAN YOU LOL"...)
*cough* Anyway...hi everyone! Ninja-Kitten most graciously invited me over here to hang out and talk with y'all, so here I am...to STUDY YOU. O.O (Kidding, kidding...I'll put away the bug jar...) It appears thetacoman
has already started an ask-a-christian type thread, but things over there have gotten a little confusing for me, personally; so I thought it'd be easier to start my own thread and lay down a few guidelines/terms/whatever you want to call them.
First things first.
What I will NOT do:
- Speak unless you are willing to listen.
I want us to be able to learn and come to understand as much as possible from each other. That will only happen if both sides park the attitudes and assumptions at the door, respect each other, and keep open minds and open ears.
- Assert my opinions or beliefs as facts.
And I trust you'll apply this to yourselves as well.
- Debate whether Christianity, Atheism or any other belief is "right" or "wrong".
To steal misanthrope86's
words from the link
the purpose of this forum is to clarify and share Christian beliefs, NOT to debate whether you believe those beliefs are right or wrong. This forum's primary purpose is to help you understand the foundations of Christianity.
- Avoid a question because it's hard.
I can't claim to have all the answers, because I DON'T have all the answers. But I'm not afraid to find them. If I find myself stumped or faced with a difficult question, I will take time to do whatever studying and research I need to do. And if I STILL can't come to an answer, I'll admit it. (And then you can all gloat over me.) =P
- Pretend to be more righteous, "holy" or morally superior than you.
Because I'm not. And if there's one thing Jesus hates, it's pretending. I refuse to be a hypocrite.
- "Preach" at you, shove the Bible down your throat or ask you to agree or accept anything I say.
All I will do is present answers from a Christian perspective and try to clearly explain what I believe. You are in no way obligated to buy what I say. All I ask is that you respect my worldview, as I respect yours.
- Attempt to convert you or "save your souls".
That's NOT what I'm here for...and frankly, that task belongs to my Boss, not me. ;)
What I WILL do:
- Be as gracious, friendly and "Christlike" towards you as I can.
- Love you unconditionally, as Christ has loved me.
- Respect you as fellow human beings, respect your worldviews even if I don't agree, and carefully consider your questions.
- Try to be thorough, clear and concise in my answers.
- Keep a good sense of humor and not get overly sensitive.
- Ask "Father Wes" for his input whenever I feel the need to. (LOL GET IT? He's my DAD...and a PRIEST...HAR HAR HAR...)
- Admit when I'm in the wrong, and do whatever I can to fix it.
- Leave your spot in peace, if I get annoying and you no longer want me here.
If I ever - ever
- act out of line, or do/say something that contradicts the guidelines above, don't hesitate to call me out on it.
I am not without my failings and blind spots, and when I screw up, I want to know about it so that I can make things right again.
Mind you...if something about my worldview
offends you, I won't apologize for that; because I'm not obligated to not offend people with my worldview. But if I present
that worldview in an offensive way, that's something else altogether. Make sense?
Okay, I'm done talking your ears off. Sorry for rambling so long, and I hope everything I said makes sense. >.< Go ahead and shoot your questions at me!