Atheism 14 Deadly Sins?

misanthrope86 posted on Mar 13, 2008 at 04:45AM
I always thought that 7 was more than enough...

So now we have 7 more "sins" to avoid. Along with the original 7 deadly sins (pride, envy, gluttony, greed, lust, wrath and sloth), one should now avoid polluting, genetic engineering, obscene riches, taking drugs, abortion, pedophilia and causing social injustice.

Seems to me that a) these new "sins" are just more specific versions of the old sins, and b) the Catholic church (and certainly other churches) are guilty of a number of these sins.

Anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Atheism 7 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago Jillywinkles said…
I haven't heard of this...Is this, like, official? From the Catholic Church?

Anyway, I agree with you, the point of the the original seven is that they are general and cover everything. The new seven are just modernized specific versions.

I like the seven deadly sins...they don't have to be associated with religion per se...
Seven is a good number, and the seven sins is a great theme that can be used for lots of things. It's just such a nice complete idea :)
over a year ago misanthrope86 said…
Yes these are official. They were put together by a division of the catholic church and have been endorsed by the Pope.

I agree Jillywinkles! I think the "deadly sins" are very applicable to the non-religious.
over a year ago adavila said…
I hate how hypocrite the catholic church is because they are like the richest organization in the world

and don´t get me started about the "fathers" they use one of this sins a lot and I mean a lot.
over a year ago adavila said…
oh and also social injustice too the catholic church is devoted to this sin
over a year ago DarkSarcasm said…
Ah, the Catholic church speaking out against pedophilia... how I love the smell of irony in the morning. ;)
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago Sharei said…
Endosed by the pope? Which pope Benedict?
Any way sins...everything that hurts others is not good and u dont have to belive in god to to feel its not good! The list is for ppl that r too lazy to look into themselves abd learn,raise..
over a year ago mooimafish17 said…
Ah, the Catholic church speaking out against pedophilia... how I love the smell of irony in the morning. ;)

oh DarkSarcasm, marry me!