아서와 그웬 Re-watching Merlin 2x05 -

HumbleQueen posted on Jul 13, 2013 at 08:14PM
Welcome back to our Merlin re-watch. We have all had the opportunity to re-watch series 1 with a whole new perspective. We saw how the characters were at the beginning and the journeys they all faced in series 1. Now it is time to continue our journey and re-watch series 2 and see how our perspectives might change seeing as we know how the story ends. (Thanks to the folks over at tvdotcom for ideas we’ve borrowed from them.)

Moderators for Season 2:
Ellarose88
HumbleQueen
Sportyshuie

[others...]

Rules are as follows:

I. We are getting started with 2x01 on Saturday, June 15, 2013 and a new forum will be opened every following Saturday. Moderators will post following the order in the list above to open threads and we’ll be watching the episodes in sequence. We will then be watching the last episode of Season 2 (2x13) on the week beginning September 7th.

II. Every moderator opening a re-watching thread should copy and paste the information in this entry (Introduction, List of moderators and Rules) at the top. That way, keeping track of the turns and our progress will be easier and also having the rules at hand will be useful for those who may have decided to join us part way through.

III. Everyone opening a re-watching thread is responsible for reminding the next person in the list to do the same the following Saturday (sending a pm on Friday should do it).

IV. Anyone not being able to open a thread on a particular Saturday can swap turns with the next person in the list (or anyone else) as long as they keep track of their respective turns.

V. People taking part can jump in with comments, but just because you watch and comment on a particular episode does not mean it’s compulsory to watch every single episode to be a part of this re-watching.

VI. Anyone is most welcome to join at any time. Also, new moderators will be added to the list when we get them.

VII. If you don’t have dvd’s or subscribe to Netflix or Amazon Prime, the first four seasons are available free (with ads) on hulu: link

Also famfan suggested www.cokeandpopcorn.eu/watch-merllin­-oooo­­n­­­­­­l­­­in­­­­­­e­.­­­­­p­­­­h­­p

VIII. Constructive criticism of characters/actors is always in order, but please no bashing.

IX. Let’s have fun down memory lane. Be inspired to do fanfics, fanvids, and fanart.

X. Each week the moderator will post questions/headings and suggestions for people to discuss about the episode, the plot, the characters and relationships. Don't feel pressured to answer every question/headings, answer the questions you want. Feel free to add anything about the episode, even if it isn't mentioned. It's more than welcomed!

Now let's continue our re-watch of Series 2 with Beauty and the Beast...

Welcome back to our Merlin re-watch. We have all had the opportunity to re-watch series 1 with a whol
last edited on Jul 13, 2013 at 08:15PM

아서와 그웬 2 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago HumbleQueen said…
Ewwwwwwwwwwww! Yuck! This episode and the one after it always turn my stomach! Those maggots! Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww. Well, let me say this is one of the most unique villains ever. As lovely and gracious the Lady Catrina is in her transformed state, is as horrid and disgusting she is in her true state. Fantastic acting job here by Sarah Parrish IMO. And as to Jonas, no words. Soooo weird. Very little Arthur, Gwen, and Morgana. Focus of course on Uther, Gaius and Merlin. Other than being grossed out, I have to say I always enjoy these two episodes. So many funny moments.

Here are the questions/headings and suggestions for discussions:

+ Best moment(s):
+ Worst moment(s):
+ Favourite quote(s):
+ Your thoughts on the villain of the week:
+ Best character development:
+ Best duo development:
+ Your thoughts on the plot progression and conclusion:
+ Anything else:

Things you might discuss:

+ Please give your thoughts on how you think the romance between Uther and Catrina came across to you. How did you feel about him in the role of a lover. Of course, later on he was enchanted, but before that, did you sense a hesitation on his part?

+ Any plot holes? To me Catrina going to that nasty place every night was rather a stretch. Of course, someone would have noticed that other than Merlin. And don’t get me started on the guards at Camelot.

+Speaking of Arthur, Gwen, and Morgana, the two women particularly seemed rather amused by the whole romance thing, but what do you think about Arthur? In some ways he seemed annoyed by the whole thing, some ways amused, and other ways confused. He said he was okay with it because it made his father happy, but deep down do you think he was worried at all? You have any thoughts about Arthur? (Check him out during the scene when the intent to marry was announced.)

+ What did you think of the Merlin and Gaius relationship in this episode?

So there are the headings and suggestions for you to discuss after you watch the episode. Like it says in the post, you don't have to use all the headings or suggestions, feel free to discuss anything about the episode.

Have fun!
MISAforever commented…
Tomorrow! over a year ago
over a year ago MISAforever said…
smile
+ Best moment(s):
Not one of my favorite episodes, so there isn't a moment that I really love. But if I had to chose one, It'd be Arthur accepting Uther's marriage and showing his father's happiness is what matters the most to him. Something Uther never showed.

+ Worst moment(s):
Well, I am not sure about it being the worst moment, but I didn't like how Uther quickly dismissed Gaius's opinion about Catrina. He was his trusted friend and she was someone who he had just met.

+ Favourite quote(s):
Arthur: Merlin, I know what you're trying to do and I appreciate it, you're a true friend. But it's not about whether I like her or not. It's about what makes my father happy. And when they announced the wedding today, I realised that Lady Catrina does just that. She makes him happy.

+ Your thoughts on the villain of the week:
The actress did her job really good, so I cannot not like her. But there was something in her character that I found repulsive. I guess that was her job.

+ Best character development:
I am not sure about this one. No one made any significant anything.

+ Best duo development:
None. Maybeee Gauis and Merlin cause they tried to reveal the true identity of Catrina and had a slightly bigger role.

+ Your thoughts on the plot progression and conclusion:
Considering this is a two part episode, it had a good introduction into the plan of the villians, but the most of the action takes place in the second part. Which I like better, by the way.

+ Please give your thoughts on how you think the romance between Uther and Catrina came across to you. How did you feel about him in the role of a lover. Of course, later on he was enchanted, but before that, did you sense a hesitation on his part?
--->In the beginning there was definitely hesitation. And that was understandable. He was not just a man. He was a king and we all know that was something he put on the first place. So to think about love and going into a relationship wasn't so easy. I don't think he ever got over his wife. So there was that as well. I must say I liked to see the other side of him, the more human one. He was a damaged man, so to see he still had feeling and possibilty of actually being a good man, is something I always like to see in a character. Nothing is black and white.

+ Any plot holes? To me Catrina going to that nasty place every night was rather a stretch. Of course, someone would have noticed that other than Merlin. And don’t get me started on the guards at Camelot.
--->The guards of Camelot are one of the worst things in the whole show!! They were a part of this great kingdom and all they ever did was not notice things. Unforgivable! And the tail of Jonas! And how she could easily claim she was someone who was dead and no one but Gauis suspecting anything.

+Speaking of Arthur, Gwen, and Morgana, the two women particularly seemed rather amused by the whole romance thing, but what do you think about Arthur? In some ways he seemed annoyed by the whole thing, some ways amused, and other ways confused. He said he was okay with it because it made his father happy, but deep down do you think he was worried at all? You have any thoughts about Arthur? (Check him out during the scene when the intent to marry was announced.)
--->He has always been a complex character and that is partly why I adore him so much. He never saw his father as someone in love. He never talked to him about his mother, always was the king first then a father. So this side of him was new and confusing. And to have a step mother that late in life and that suddenly certainly took him by surprise. I don't think anyone would like that. Nor did he. But I think he really tried, because he loved his father. I don't think he succeeded though. He had issues with the whole situation but tried to overcome them. Until next episode. I really liked his behaviour here.

+ What did you think of the Merlin and Gaius relationship in this episode?
---> As always, the only two of them saw what was really going on. I'd say another plot hole. Both of them actually tried to do what was necessary and were pretty lame at it. Nothing new. But once more we saw that they have a great bond.
HumbleQueen commented…
Good response as usual, Joppa. I like what 당신 said about Arthur with respect to his feelings. Very good insights. over a year ago
HumbleQueen commented…
Good too what 당신 said about Uther re the romance. over a year ago
MISAforever commented…
Thank 당신 Nanna! over a year ago