24 24 Situation Room [SPOILERS AHEAD]

fanfly posted on Jul 17, 2011 at 02:23AM
This forum is a place to talk about anything 24-related and will contain spoilers for the entire series, so newbies beware!
 This 포럼 is a place to talk about anything 24-related and will contain spoilers for the entire seri

24 89 replies

Click here to write a response...
Previous

Showing Replies 1-50 of 89

over a year ago fanfly said…
So I wanted to address the question that HJ asked on the other forum about contested characters. I don't know the fandom well enough to really know how people feel about the characters so...

The only thing I know is that jlhfan told me that Dana Walsh is pretty universally hated. And I have to say I hate her too. Anybody like her?

Oh and it's not so much her as it is the fact that so much time is wasted on her boring storyline.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago jlhfan624 said…
Is being in the fandom since 2001 long enough to know what characters are well-liked and ones that are not? I don't know these things. :P

Btw, I think it's totally time that everybody start calling me HEATHER. I know my real name is not universally known, but I hate it when people refer to me by my username because I hate it (my username) with a passion. I am Heather. You can call me that or you can call me Mrs. Jack Bauer or Mrs. Ben Foster. Whichever suits your needs. They all suit mine. ;)

Nobody likes Dana. Critics didn't like her, cast members didn't even like her and saw implausibilities with her storyline(s), and fans certainly didn't like her.
BTW

Well-Loved
Jack
Chloe
David
Tony
Sherry
Edgar
Renee
Bill
Charles
Nina
Aaron

Well-Hated/Disliked
Dana
Kim

Usually in those orders too. Virtually everybody else in the show that's a big & important character is well-liked. These are just the ones I regularly see praise for.
big smile
Oh thank Jack! I'm tired of typing your username. lol No offense!

So....Mrs. Jack Bauer, how does the fandom feel about Sherry Palmer? I think she's the best antagonist on the show and she gave me the serious creeps- in a good way!

Well that answers my question!
I'm conflicted on Kim. I started out really liking her but the writers took her in some directions that I didn't care for. I think she was wasted. They could've done so much with her character but I feel as though [for whatever reason] they didn't want her on the show. So they had to create reasons for her to not be there and to not be a part of Jack's life. So they had her get married and start a family. But then after Jack came back to life they had to invent a reason for her to not be a part of it so they have her cutting him out to protect herself emotionally.

I just think she never achieved the potential that I saw in her in the first 3 seasons.
heart
Here are some other facts. Just because. Facts are fun.

- Season 5 is the most popular season.
- Season 6 is the most hated season.
- We all held candlelight vigils in honor of Teri, David, & Edgar.
- Our fandom is sort of at war with the Lost fandom, and has been since 2004. Fucking Lost.
- Jon Cassar told everybody in a meeting that season 2 was going to end with David getting into a car where Nina was going to be and we find out those two have been plotting all along and then it goes to the desert where we see George, he's survived the crash. XD It was an April Fool's Day joke.
- They turned down Jennifer Aniston & Ben Stiller to be on the show because they were too big of a household name. Silly celebrities.
- The first silent clock was a glitch.
I don't think it was that the writers didn't want her on the show. They actually liked her. It was the fans who hated her and complained about her constantly. Unfortunately they listened to their fans on that one. I agree with you that she was wasted. It still bothers me she wasn't in the series finale.

And everybody loves Sherry. They all see her like I do - a manipulative, cold bitch. But a very good one. They all love her for it because she's incredibly entertaining.
I am so glad they turned down Aniston and Stiller. I'm not a fan of either. And the show didn't need flashy celebrities like them.

And OMG that's a crazy joke! I bet everyone was in a huge tizzy over that! lol
hmmm
So Kim was disliked before she cut Jack out? Because that's the first time I felt any dislike for her. That's sad.
The reactions were priceless. Some people's faces were like :| and lots of "What?!!!" then they were like "Okay you're joking now!" XD I love these guys.

I'm glad they turned them down too. They wanted to keep the real aspect of the show and make people feel like they were actually living in these people's world. I loved how they always made the show so personal. Even the camera angles, 90% of them were handheld cameras because the feeling of walking with them and such was like you were there with them.

I also love it when the cast members and other celebrities show their love for the show too. Freddie Prinze Jr. especially was such a huge fanboy before he even got on it and he said this in several interviews and it's just awesome to have cast members who show love for the show. Knowing that they are genuinely enjoying the work they're doing makes it more fun to watch. Kiefer isn't just the star of the show, he's the executive producer - and IDK, I just feel like I'm closer to them in the fangirling of the show because they have passion for it as well.

So Kim was disliked before she cut Jack out? Because that's the first time I felt any dislike for her. That's sad.
Yeah. She was hated. People still bitch about the cougar part too, like it's the most unrealistic thing in the world. IDEGI. Kim's storyline in season 2 is my favorite of all of hers, but of course people have to make something out of nothing.
^That's how the SPN cast and crew is. They all love the show so much that they seem like a family. And it makes the fandom all the more supportive because it feels like we're all in this together.
What was unrealistic about the cougar? That it didn't attack her? Cougars are extremely shy animals. It would have to be starving, feel really threatened or be rabid in order to attack her.
They think it was unrealistic and stupid to be there to begin with. I see stupid jokes all the time about "LOLZ COUGAR". Like seriously, that shit is so 2002. Get over it.

Unfortunately I & another 24 friend of mine seem to be the only ones to see the family aspect of our show. I know the SPN guys really love what they do and love their fans. It shows. But it also shows with 24 & the cast too. But you'd never know it because nobody cares about 24.

Annie Wersching
Freddie Prinze Jr.
Anil Kapoor
Mary Lynn Rajskub
Jon Voight
Eric Balfour
^ All of those guys...at the very least have all said how much they love the show and working on it. The first 3 have even said numerous times that it's their favorite show - period.

Plus you've got
Jennifer Aniston
Ben Stiller
Ricky Gervais
Tom Welling
Hayden Panettiere
Shannen Doherty
Barbra Streisand
Plus like 50 million politicians.
^ Who have all also expressed love for the show (Shannen even doing commentary for a season 4 episode).

Why does nobody see this devotion?!

Sorry, I ramble. I like knowing that if not by tween girls looking for couples to ship, my show is beloved by the famous world.
I don't think it was unrealistic to get lost in the wilderness. Maybe she made the wrong decision to run off but seriously...I'd like to see these people who say she's stupid do better in her situation. She had to make some split second decisions [a lot of them actually] and yeah- people make mistakes. It's not like she had any training or a vast store of experience to draw on.
Yeah it's sad that the fandom on this spot is kinda dead. But I'm sure there's still more rabid fans out there...somewhere....just not here. lol
angry
I just think the hatred of Kim is irrational in season 1. The beginning of season 2 made me think less of her, because she was a brat to Jack. Season 3 she was just kinda...there? Season 5 I genuinely hated her in because of what she said to Jack and how it hurt him - and you just don't hurt my Jack. Seasons 7 & 8 (what little of her there was) I loved her in.

I just get rubbed the wrong way when people underrate their experiences on film or television. I have this massive & glorious Friday the 13th book that is a fantastic retrospective on the entire franchise (minus the remake) and it has interviews with nearly everybody involved with the films and some of the people in there weren't too thrilled to be in them to begin with. One actress even called the movie a C-movie. So annoying. As I was reading that I was talking back to the book. I just wanted to tell her that she's now where she is now because of that "C-movie" and Friday the 13th is the biggest horror franchise in the world so FU!
I don't think she was a brat to Jack in S2. I mean, she went through a horrible ordeal, she lost her mother in an incredibly brutal way, not to mention her best friend- her whole world came apart at the seams. She was damaged by that- in fact, it's a miracle she wasn't a complete and total basketcase. It would be unrealistic to think she wouldn't need time to deal. She deserved to be able to grieve in her own way after everything she went through.

And yeah, it's always irritating when the people involved in something you're a fan of diss it. I mean...that's the last thing a fan wants to hear. If you can see the awesome, everyone involved in the project should be able to!
heart
I was referring to how she was in the season 2 premiere. Shunning him away like that...

But good thing for me (and other genre enthusiasts), the fans of the series outweigh the nons. Like within the cast and crew, etc. The documentary they did for the series was so awesome. I love stuff like that.

Me = nerd.

They even talked about a 24 documentary! WOULD THAT MAKE MY LIFE OR WHAT?!!! It should be 24 hours long.
^That's what I'm referring to as well. If she needed time away from Jack to deal with her issues, I can't blame her. Like I said, she'd been through a lot. And as I recall, she was just asking him for some space not telling him that she blamed him or hated him.

lol A 24 hour 24 documentary! XD
over a year ago HuddyJoy0524 said…
Whooaaaaa you guys just talked about a lot. ill throw my 2 cents in
:

@Heather phew. im glad i can call you that. i was worried that you wouldnt want me saying your name to other people in case you werent ok with that or whatever so im glad you commented.

Hated Dana.

I've also never liked Kim either. Even in season 1. PArt of it is (as Heather knows already :p) I've never much been a fan of teenage characters. I always think they end up being the bratty ones for whatever reason. After season 7, however, Kim redeemed herself and I've somewhat forgiven her for what she did to Jack. But I don't think, even as a teen, i could have ever treated my parents that way or would ever be able to. ESPECIALLY if my dad was Jack!

Also, my least favorite character ever on this whole show is Marilyn Bauer. As I've pointed out 9000 times :p i was just wondering what @fanfly thought of her, i'd be interested to see.

also, a 24 hour 24 documentary would make my LIFE
Teen characters can be annoying because they tend to do things that aren't well-thought out and they usually think they know better than everyone around them. But to me that's realistic. Most real life teens act like that at some point during those years. It's true that not all teens do but for the purposes of dramatic story telling a well-behaved, well-adjusted, totally level-headed teen is generally boring. lol Whenever judging a teen character I always take into account that that character isn't fully developed emotionally and is not experienced.

Oh I don't like Marilyn either! Idk what it was about her but I found her annoying. I liked the idea of her story line- loving Jack but marrying his brother [who I thought was killed off way too soon]. But she herself got on my nerves. I'll have to watch that season over again to pick apart why I didn't like her- for now I've just got a kneejerk reaction.
laugh
Nah, I'm not paranoid about stuff like that. Plus I actually like my name and I have a movie about bitches with my name, so I kinda flaunt awesomeness.

BTW, I like Marilyn. Haters gonna hate.
big smile
I took a picture of my tv series on dvd for Tumblr & I wanted to put it on this site too but I didn't know where else to...so you guys get my semi-spam.

I'll go away now.
 I took a picture of my tv series on dvd for Tumblr & I wanted to put it on this site too but I didn't
cool
Cool skull. XD
heart
That's the Masters of Horror season 2 set. The other one on the very top of the shelf is season 1. I loved the way they packaged those. The discs are really exposed in the skull but if you take good care of them it's not a problem. The packaging for both was just too epic to pass up.
Oh I didn't even see the one on top at first. And yeah, that is some epic packaging!
Ahhhh Heather and your DVD collection :p You always put me to shame lol. I have a nice collection myself but nothing as substantial as that. Netflix instant streaming and tivo spoils me so i dont have to necessarily buy every show i watch. I DO own every season of 24 tho ;)

LOL i also disliked Sandra Palmer. I liked Erin Driscoll, however. The scene where her daughter dies always made me so sad, one of the scenes i almost cried at. That was a rather unpopular story arc amongst fans if im remembering correctly...
I'm conflicted on Sandra. On the one hand I liked her integrity and conviction- I agreed with her in principal. But on the other hand, she did some things that didn't benefit her or anyone else- deleting those files? That was just stupid. Also, she seemed rather naive to have come from a politician's family. I don't hate her but she's certainly not a favourite of mine.

Erin was interesting- as was her daughter. Their relationship was rather heartbreaking. But I did feel like that storyline was a little bit isolated from everything else that was going on. I wish they could've integrated it a little better so that it felt less like an entirely separate story and more a part of the ongoing drama.
laugh
Sandra was stupid, pointless, annoying, and I wanted that FBI agent to smack the crap out of her SO bad. She is one of my most hated tv characters ever.

That's just my TV dvd's though! My movie collection puts my tv to shame! And I'm kind of anal - anything I watch, I have to buy. I even buy things I haven't watched if I think I will like it. I trust myself. XD That totally reminds me of Home Movies!! XD He is the cutest thing ever.
laugh
I don't think Sandra was too too bad. I know my family and i still make fun of her, we will be having a conversation and someone will bring up a cellphone and that's usually my cue:

"Celllphone? How did he get a cellllphone in there?" hahahahahahaha

So many lines from that show are just like normal family everyday used lines now. 24 was like the one show that all 4 of us liked. Good times.
There's nothing that the 4 of my family all likes. Even despite the fact that my sister is estranged. There's things that 3 of us mutually like but NEVER something all of us like. And guess who's the one who never agrees?! XD
tongue
LOL. Most of the time there is something the 3 of us likes or even 2 of us but like never 4 of us, except 24. 24 brought us together!

I'm actually the one that is the problem a lot too :p I'm so picky. My mom and sister tape Glee on the tivo and I'm always SO tempted to go through and erase them all....
big smile
There've been things that my whole family loves- mostly certain movies. We don't usually share the same taste in tv- although I did get my family into Firefly! And that's all that matters. lol
My dad and I share similar taste in music. He got me into many of my favorites now. In turn, I've shared my love of horror with him. He doesn't love it anywhere near as much as I do, BUT he does love the Saw series, and various others I've gotten him into.

I got my mom & sister into 24. But I don't share too much else in common with anyone else.

I just realized nobody in my family watches Home Movies! I need a new family.
Yeah there are a few movies that we all love. I tried to get them into "Damages" but my Dad doesn't have time and my Mom doesn't like the fact that there's really no "protagonist" because everyone's got their own agenda. I tried to explain to her that's the entire point of the series....*sighs* Oh well...

Heather, how old is your sister? Is she younger or older than you?

@fanfly is it safe to say that "firefly" is your favorite show? ;)
heart
lol Yeah it probably is. I tend to get really fangirly about it. I think it's because it was canceled before it had a chance. So I feel like it's my duty as a Browncoat to make people realize that it wasn't canceled because it was bad- it was canceled because FOX is stupid. Also, everything about it- concept, execution, cast, crew, fandom is flat out awesome. There's no other show ever that's done what Firefly did. It didn't run a full season but we got a full length feature film made. The level of friendship and loyalty between cast, crew and fans is unmatched.
My sister is gonna be 33 this year and she hates me. She has never been a 'sister' to me, and most likely never will be.
hmmm
Could you guys please tell me what you think of these? They're for the Actresses 20 in 20, and I don't know if I like any of them...
 Could 당신 guys please tell me what 당신 think of these? They're for the 여배우 20 in 20, and I don'
@fanfly i understand you. One of my favorite shows just got cancelled too and it was really good. it was lucky and got 3 seasons out of the deal but seasons 1 and 3 had 13 episodes :/ I'm officially p-oed at FOX as well. They don't know what they're doing anymore.

@Heather :( im sorry to hear that. i guess we all have family like that :/

And i actually really like your icons. They're creative, different, and you use really good color schemes. Kirsten Dunst right? :)
hmmm
Yeah it's Kirsten. It's not my typical color scheme...and 7 hours later I guess I kinda like them, but they aren't my best.
Do you tend to use the same kind of color schemes for your icons? I like what you've done with yellows, pinks and greens. It really shows her face and features well. Enhances how pretty she is :)

*sighs* I really miss icon making. I've been so frickin busy lately ive had to fight for fanpop time. Like...i should be sleeping right now :p lol hopefully in another week or so i can start icon making again
smile
No I usually change them up because I never know what works. I don't really like my icons but thanks!
Okay so I was all LALALA strolling through the 24 tag on Tumblr, being all YAY 24 praise FTW!! and then I see:
 Okay so I was all LALALA strolling through the 24 tag on Tumblr, being all [b]YAY 24 praise FTW!![/b]
So now I'm all:
 So now I'm all:
..........................................­...­...­...
mischievous
Kitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It best described the exact face I made precisely after reading that post.
The post is so beyond ridiculous i have no face or reply for it. I mean what are Lost and 24 the Capulets and Montagues?! Come on people.

Plus 24 is better. So she's deluding herself xD
meh
Well like I said on the first page of this forum - 24 fandom is at war with Lost fandom. Because the media constantly compares them because they're SO similar right? Then you get fans like that one - which is okay, because I'm one of those fans just reverse the fandoms - but what is infuriating is that there are SO many Lost fans like that. All for example, including most especially Entertainment Weekly who put out an entire issue devoted to the Lost finale whereas (literally!) 24 got at most a 5 page mention. Which show was more influential? Which show changed 21st century television as we know it? Which show actually KNEW where they were going with their storyline and were always consistent?

I know I shouldn't even be encouraging this "war", but they started it by belittling 24 and I have zero tolerance for shit like that.

Note to Tumblr girl: My 10 years trumps your 6. Kbye.